Need help choosing a USB DAC (PC to Head-Direct EF1)
Jan 6, 2009 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

paara

500+ Head-Fier
I need some help finding a USB DAC to connect my ordered EF-1 to my laptop. I guess it is a “no go” using the headphone output on my laptop?? I am quite satisfied by the sound created by my laptop, but since I got bitten by the “Head-Direct EF1 bug”, I would like to match it with a suitable DAC.

I don't know if the type of music and headphones are important in choosing an DAC, but I am using Sennheiser HD600 and Denon AH-D2000, music type would be Jazz and Rock. A enjoy the “dark” (laidback mid) sound produced by equipment optimized for jazz.

I have tried looking through DAC threads here, but still need some help.
A built in amp is not mandatory, obviously, but "pre out" is.

Some options I have found:
-Headroom Micro DAC 399$
-Keces DA-151 DAC (could not find price or place to buy)
-Firestone Audio Fubar III USB DAC 229$
-DIYKITS Super Pro DAC 707 USB
-SilverStone Ensemble EB01 USB DAC
Other options would also be appreciated.

My price limit is 400$ (if it is worth it, but I am aiming at something around 200$

Question 1: What DAC would be a good choice for me. I have read some reviews, but I wonder if anyone could give me a recommendation for what would be a good buy. (What would YOU buy
smily_headphones1.gif

Question 2: Another thing I am wondering about: Will a DAC work with whatever bitrate the MP3, WAV, FLAC or lossless file I am playing using iTunes??

Any help would be much appreciated

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 14
Has anybody tried the Has anybody tried the CAMBRIDGE DacMagic DAC?

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 14
I know the Microdac mentioned is a good one, but if you can hold out, I'd suggest pre-ordering a HeadAmp Pico DAC (check HeadAmp.com). It was initially an optional add-on to the Pico portable headphone amp, but got such good reviews (people were spending the $500 just to use the Pico amp/DAC as a DAC for their setups), Justin decided to release a DAC-only version of the product.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know the Microdac mentioned is a good one, but if you can hold out, I'd suggest pre-ordering a HeadAmp Pico DAC (check HeadAmp.com). It was initially an optional add-on to the Pico portable headphone amp, but got such good reviews (people were spending the $500 just to use the Pico amp/DAC as a DAC for their setups), Justin decided to release a DAC-only version of the product.

Thanks for the tip, saw a review by HeadphoneAddict where he praise the DAC in the Pico. Also liked the size of the Pico. Waiting is no problem. I think I was a little eager in ordering the Head-Direct EF1, didn't think about the source I was using. But I hope it will work fine together with a DAC.
Do you know if the Pico dac will come with 220v power supply?
Appreciate your response, because it is hard to choose when I know nothing about DACs
smily_headphones1.gif
Wish there where some comparison reviews testing DACs.

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the tip, saw a review by HeadphoneAddict where he praise the DAC in the Pico. Also liked the size of the Pico. Waiting is no problem. I think I was a little eager in ordering the Head-Direct EF1, didn't think about the source I was using. But I hope it will work fine together with a DAC.
Do you know if the Pico dac will come with 220v power supply?
Appreciate your response, because it is hard to choose when I know nothing about DACs
smily_headphones1.gif
Wish there where some comparison reviews testing DACs.

No power supply needed... power is via a USB port.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 14
Para, the keces model is not a portable even though it gets powered by the usb, more of a home audio unit. they do have an amped model as well. the maker sells on ebay. they look like a quality unit and from what i've read, preform well.

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ri_toast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paara, the keces model is not a portable even though it gets powered by the usb, more of a home audio unit. they do have an amped model as well. the maker sells on ebay. they look like a quality unit and from what i've read, preform well.

Hi, Thank you. I think I can rule out that one then. It should be transportable.

Till now the best options seems to be:
-The not yet released HeadAmp Pico DAC
-Headroom Micro DAC 399$
-Firestone Audio Fubar III USB DAC 229$

Any other great USB DACs under 400$.

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 14
paara,

The Pico DAC coud be very very nice. I have heard the DAC/AMP and it is awesome albeit maybe a little to bright for me but I haven't listened enough to really verify this opinion. Just to blow your mind I am going to suggest you take a look at the HotAudio USB DAC I have had one for a year or so, listen to a lot of Jazz and have it paired with my laptop and Millett Starving Student. Do not let the price fool you this is one hell of a nice DAC IMHO. Here's the link over to the Amps Forum http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/hot...s-amps-242880/ Dave at HotAudio has just come out with a new USB DAC as well.
Enjoy the Music

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 14
I have a Silverstone EB01 and its decent, I got it used for a good price and it was my first USB DAC. If I did it over again, I would have bought the Super PRO 707 USB, just for the DAC chip it uses, superior to the one in the EB01 I believe. The Super PRO wasn't available with USB at the time, and the EB01 only cost me $70... Maybe I'll upgrade after I get some of my other projects done... or build a Gamma1

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
paara,

The Pico DAC coud be very very nice. I have heard the DAC/AMP and it is awesome albeit maybe a little to bright for me but I haven't listened enough to really verify this opinion. Just to blow your mind I am going to suggest you take a look at the HotAudio USB DAC I have had one for a year or so, listen to a lot of Jazz and have it paired with my laptop and Millett Starving Student. Do not let the price fool you this is one hell of a nice DAC IMHO. Here's the link over to the Amps Forum http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/hot...s-amps-242880/ Dave at HotAudio has just come out with a new USB DAC as well.
Enjoy the Music

Is this the correct one: HOTUSB1 USB DAC High-Performance Headphone Amplifier ?

These products was new to me. Seems like they have 3 products that could be interesting.

--HOTUSB1 USB DAC
-HOTAUDIO MARK IV
-HOTAUDIO SUPREME PCM2702
In the least expensive to most order.
Would it be a fair to assume that this list would also be in a good, better, best order to?

Does HotAudio USB DAC have a "pre out" I rather not use the amplifier part? Cant find a volume knob on any of them so I guess they works as a pure DAC only solution. am I wrong?

See that he is selling the HOTAUDIO SUPREME PCM2702 BUFFERED USB DAC with a 25% discount. Anyone has any experience with this DAC?

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #11 of 14
Yes paara, you have found the HotAudio DAC. I don't think it is a fair assumption. If you have a headphone amp it may not be necessary to go the buffered route. The purest path may be the USB1 to your amp. Volume is controlled through your computer settings and your amp, if you use an amp.
Best bet is to contact Dave directly through the Forum or his web site HotAudio.Com, Hand Crafted Audio Perfection. He is very good about his correspondence.

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Yes paara, you have found the HotAudio DAC. I don't think it is a fair assumption. If you have a headphone amp it may not be necessary to go the buffered route. The purest path may be the USB1 to your amp. Volume is controlled through your computer settings and your amp, if you use an amp.
Best bet is to contact Dave directly through the Forum or his web site HotAudio.Com, Hand Crafted Audio Perfection. He is very good about his correspondence.

I do agree with you dandi, it makes sense that a pure path would be the best choice. On the other hand, looking at the pictures of the mark IV and the Supreme they both have "line output" which probably bypass the buffered part??

Dave recommended the SUPREME PCM2702, because of its level of details. I think I gonna order it, and maybe also the Pico DAC, when it comes out. Then I can compare them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #13 of 14
Yes paara please don't take anything I say as gospel. I think Dave at HA could definitively answer your question.
I think a comparison between the HotAudio product and other DAC's would be a great thread. Look forward to your impressions.

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Yes paara please don't take anything I say as gospel. I think Dave at HA could definitively answer your question.
I think a comparison between the HotAudio product and other DAC's would be a great thread. Look forward to your impressions.

Just talked to Dave and placed the order, thanks for the Hot Audio tip.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back