Need Help Choosing a Successor to My Shure SE210's ($100-$150)
Dec 8, 2009 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

brianhem10

New Head-Fier
Hi,

First time poster so I apologize for any naivety. Just sold my Shure SE210s on EBay as I wanted to treat myself to an upgrade for the holidays. I own a pair of V-Moda Bass Freqs that I use casually/work-outs. I used the SE210s (and this new pair) for longer listening, flights, and for my computer.

I listen to mostly hip-hop, classical rock, and pop music. Even though I'm 21, my hearing isn't great - I'm not an audio purist, I just appreciate good sound. All my music for the most part is from Zune Marketplace (192kbps WMA) that I usually re-record using Tunebite. I use a Zune HD as my player.

I recently bought a pair of Westone UM1s but will possibly be returning them if I should. I'd like to spend $100-$150. I bought the UMs because of generally very positive reviews, but I'm having buyers remorse because when I decided to upgrade I really wanted a dual-driver system.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 4
You may want to look at UE SuperFi 5 Pro. There may be a clearance since it's an older model, but the fit differs amongst users.

For dual drivers, you may wish to check out UE 700, qJays, UM2, Westone 2, Phiatons.
If you're willing to try dynamics, I'm sure you can save some cash.

Do you want something more analytical? From you post, seems you're looking for good isolation and all-rounded sound production.

For that budget range you can also look at lower tier IEMs: Ety ER6i and UE SuperFi 3.

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 4
Considering the recent big sale on UE Triple.fis, you can probably pick up a pair for under $150 on ebay or wait around here and see if anyone decides to sell theirs. I know many people bought multiples and may be willing to sell a pair to you for little or no markup. Just keep your eyes open for them.
I'm not sure how well they would do with 192kbps WMA though. Haven't received mine so I can't tell if it's too revealing or anything, but I'm sure you can find some info in the appreciation thread.

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 4
I found the UE Triple.Fi's on EBay for $180. But, I've heard ALOT of concerns about their durability. I'm also concerned about buying something without being able to try it first, as the problem with the UM2s is their fit and comfyness. I loved my SE210's but the higher-end Shure's don't seem to be a good value.

Also, based on my music tastes, would I be better off just getting the Super.Fi 5 EBs or spend the extra $50-$80 on the Triple.Fis?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back