Need help choosing a stereo reciever
Jun 7, 2007 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Aja

New Head-Fier
I have a set of powered Yorkville monitors (these ones) plugged into my computer. I've been listening to all my music in MP3 format on the computer, but I'm getting tired of the computer start-up time and fan noise whenever I want to play an album.

So I'm thinking about buying a stereo reciever and CD player. CD player's simple enough, but I know nothing about recievers. I need one that can meet the following requirements:

-compatible with my POWERED speakers
-compatible with my little Pro-Ject phono preamp, gotta have the turntable
-enough inputs so that my sound-card can be plugged in as well, allowing my to use my computer through the same monitors.

Any suggestions as to what sort of reciever I should get? I was looking at this one from Denon, but I can't read the spec sheets - I don't know whether or not it would work with my speakers/phono preamp/computer, etc. Don't wanna spend much more than the Denon, either, so around $300-400 cdn.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'm thinking about buying a stereo reciever and CD player. CD player's simple enough, but I know nothing about recievers. I need one that can meet the following requirements:

-compatible with my POWERED speakers
-compatible with my little Pro-Ject phono preamp, gotta have the turntable
-enough inputs so that my sound-card can be plugged in as well, allowing my to use my computer through the same monitors.

Any suggestions as to what sort of reciever I should get? I was looking at this one from Denon, but I can't read the spec sheets - I don't know whether or not it would work with my speakers/phono preamp/computer, etc. Don't wanna spend much more than the Denon, either, so around $300-400 cdn.

The Denon has a Pre-Amp out so you can use this to bypass the amp section and let the monitors amp themselves, just get an RCA to mini-jack lead.

The output from a phono pre-amp is an equalized line level signal so any line level input eg AUX would work fine.

Ditto for the computer, the Denon has plenty of line level inputs, just get another mini-jack to RCA cable.

Really you only need a pre-amp since you have powered speakers, all the amp power is sitting idle, you could pick up an old pre-amp off eBay for very little and probably get one with a bulit-in phono section to boot. If you are worried about sufficient inputs the TCC TC-716 (http://www.phonopreamps.com/) switch box is only $25 and gives you an extra 5 inputs, I use one of thse with my vintage Nikko amp

Jun 7, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 29
Agree with Hickman77.

All you need is a decent preamp. That will give you enough inputs for all of your sources.

Jun 7, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 29
Ok cool, so I don't need the reciever.

If I were to buy a preamp, though, would i still be able to use my ProJect phono preamp? It was given to me recently as a gift, so I'd like to be able to take advantage of it. Problem is that it does not come with a volume control, so when I run it directly to the speakers it's far too loud. Does the phono box just plug into one of the preamp's inputs? I don't know what a line-level input is exactly...

What preamps can you recommend in the $200-300 price range?

Jun 7, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 29
Why not get a receiver? The Panasonic Xr-57 is in your price range and is a great deal. There's a decent DAC installed on it so just about any cd player would work well as a transport. I really like mine and as people know, I don't like much lol.

Jun 7, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 29
Well, like they said, why pay for a power section I'm not going to use? Wouldn't the money be better spent on a higher quality preamp?

I'm honestly asking, because I really am clueless when it comes to these things.

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Ok cool, so I don't need the reciever.

If I were to buy a preamp, though, would i still be able to use my ProJect phono preamp? It was given to me recently as a gift, so I'd like to be able to take advantage of it. Problem is that it does not come with a volume control, so when I run it directly to the speakers it's far too loud. Does the phono box just plug into one of the preamp's inputs? I don't know what a line-level input is exactly...

What preamps can you recommend in the $200-300 price range?

Yes, you can just plug the phono preamp output into any Line Level input such as Tuner, Aux, CD, Tape and so on, but not a phono input. Line level just means that the signal is of a certain level normally 1 - 2 V. The phono input on an amplifier or pre-amp by comparison is engineered to deal with mV level signals specifically from a cartridge which also need massive equalization.

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #11 of 29
XR-55/57. 'nuff said.

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Again though, why pay for a power section I'll never use, not to mention an extra 5.1 channels I won't use either?

Umm... because even without those channels and those features, it's worth the money? Maybe you should read the 115+ page thread on the XR-55 at avsforum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4&page=1&pp=30

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #14 of 29
Isn't the power-amp what everyone raves about? I wouldn't even be able to use it? I've found used models of the 55 on Amazon for reasonable prices, but should I bother when I won't even be using one of the most important features?

I can't tell from the online pictures - does the 55 even have a preamp out for me to plug my speakers into?

edit - a few pages in on the 115 page thread: turns out the panasonic has no pre-outs. So I can't use it.

Found an adcom GTP500 on Ebay, the price is right, so I made a bid, we'll see how it turns out.

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Umm... because even without those channels and those features, it's worth the money? Maybe you should read the 115+ page thread on the XR-55 at avsforum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4&page=1&pp=30

Maybe you should read the OP's question. The panny wouldn't serve any of his needs at all.

Ideally, for your 300-400 dollars, you would want the maximum amount of audio quality. That means picking up a good used preamp, (that adcom is an excellent choice) a good enough cd player (something with a digital output for upgrading) and perhaps a new sound card. I like the e-mu 0404. It might seem like overkill, but a new sound card makes a very noticeable difference to the sound quality of your computer.

To get everything going, you hook the computer up to one of the inputs, the pro-ject phonobox up to another, and the cd player up to a third, and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back