Need Help Choosing A Portable Amp For V-MODA Crossfade lp's
Dec 16, 2012 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Nazzle7

New Head-Fier
So, I'm rather new to a lot of this. A few months ago I picked up a pair of V-MODA crossfade lp's for $80.00 off Amazon. I'm happy with them, considering they were my first pair of non-five dollar headphones. However, I've been thinking about getting a portable amp/dac lately and i'm not entirely sure what to get. I've looked through several threads - mainly ClieOS's shootout threads. I've been mainly thinking about getting either a Leckerton UHA-4, UHA-6S MKII, or FiiO e17. I mostly use an Iphone 5 as a source (which poses another issue with the lightning port).

First off: are my current amp/dac considerations agreeable for running the V-MODA's on an Iphone 5? Just want to make sure i'm not missing anything. I realize my current headphones don't really need a UHA-6S MKII, but I plan on upgrading them within a year or so to something more in their range and I was thinking it might just be better to take the dip now and save a few bucks in the end. I was leaning towards the UHA-4 but I had heard that the MKII's were really worth the extra $70.

Second: which opamp would be best here? I was kind of leaning towards the AD8610 or 8620 as I heard they give a more fun and dynamic feel but i'm not exactly sure how spot on I am with that. I'm really more into having a fun and enjoyable session more so than a cold and precise one.

Lastly: I've been reading into the issues the new lightning dock has been causing for previous setups. Is my best option right now to just use my Iphone 5's headphone port or is there some way to go through the lightning port? Or is this all irrelevant because i'll be using an external DAC? Do I even need an external DAC? Currently a lot of this stuff is over my head still so I would appreciate being enlightened if someone doesn't mind.

Thank you everyone in advance for all of your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back