Need Help Choosing a Pair of OverEar Headphones :- need to be very portable and suit my current rig....Music Tastes are wide and varied.
Oct 8, 2013 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

JackRabbitSlims

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for another set of HeadPhones specifically for travel, so would like them to be tough, durable and maybe even available with a travel case? A fold down / wrap up set would be ideal!

I listen to wide range of music, mainly Rock and Alt rock, but also loads of Folk, Blues and Techno.

My travel rig (i'm on the road 11 months of the years) is:-

iPod160gb, Custom LOD, Pico Slim, UERM's - This has worked really well for the past 2 years.

I also have a FiiO E12 on trial at the moment and could substitute the Pico with that if the Headphone require more grunt to drive :)

Yes, the E12 is much larger than the Pico Slim, and HeadPhones will take up more space than the UERM's.....I'm hoping to achieve superior SQ with a move to a Headphone and utilize the E12.

Budget is under $500 USD.

note - I'm in New Zealand in a very small town, so will probably have to buy online...sight unseen and not listened to....crazy right :)

Interested to hear what you have to say....

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 20
Bump this guy up :)

OK, I have narrowed it down to the following cans:-
HD 600
Shure SRH940
Utrasone Pro900
V-Moda M-100

After reading the reviews, the V-Moda may be to Bassy....although it comes with a great case!

I want it specifically for travel and I know the HD600 is open.....it has great review though.

Thoughts....

Oct 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 20
Maybe the m100's out of them headphones as the rest won't cut it.

I'll consider the ath-m50's. The Beyerdynamic custom one pro's are very good actually (I heard a burnt in pair) but only at their highest bass setting as that's where they behave like they were meant to behave - a bass heads headphone. Suprisingly these sound very close to the ultrasone signature DJ's. Very suprising.

Sennheiser momentum are also worth considering.

Oct 9, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 20
Sennheiser HD-25 I II or the DT1350. They both will benefit from a portable amp. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 20
Hey, thanks for the great replies.

I hadn't considered any of the Cans you suggested (Obviously) - the HD600 are now off the list.

I still like the M-100's (just going on what I have read on here)
The DT1350 (80 OHM) and HD25-1-II are serious considerations.

I welcome your thoughts on the following:-
Focal Spirt One.
Senn Amperior
Senn Momentum.

Thanks once again for all your help, I appreciate it!

Cheers.

Oct 9, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 20

I welcome your thoughts on the following:-
Focal Spirt One.
Senn Amperior
Senn Momentum.

The Amperiors are a tweaked version of the HD-25 headphone in my opinion, in both aspects sound/aesthetically. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #9 of 20
DT1350 could be the one.

Just watched a nice clip of Jude comparing the HD25 to the 1350.....tough call, but I'm leaning towards the DT1350 right now......the price point is very attractive as well.

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 20
Yes, very close to pulling the trigger on the DT1350's....Amazon have a nice price point...especially considering what an online retailer is selling them for here in NZ!!

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #12 of 20
  Yes, very close to pulling the trigger on the DT1350's....Amazon have a nice price point...especially considering what an online retailer is selling them for here in NZ!!

You can't go wrong with them. 
cool.gif

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #13 of 20
Will a Pico Slim improve the SQ of the DT1350's or would it be better paired with the E12?

I'm changing my mind on these every day :) - I read one great review and then read one horrible one.....I know what it sounds to my ears is most important

I'm still unsure about the HD 25's.....build quality, style factor and 'newer' technology seems to favor the Beyer, plus it has a great travel case which is key for me...

Need to make a decision in the next 24hours....pressure!! 
eek.gif

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #15 of 20
Ok, thanks....have you owned them both? with what source and amped or not??

Sorry for the barrage of questions - 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back