Need help choosing a pair of over-ear headphones and amp.
Feb 27, 2014 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

onal

New Head-Fier
Hi HeadFi

I am looking to get a desktop amp and headphones, i am quiet new to all this and i am looking for some help/advice, currently i have beats by Dr.Dre which i don't like at all and after one hour of use my ears are killing me. ( I know why BEATS i know noob choice).

This is little about me.

Love music all sorts depending on what mood i am in but typically i listen to Rock, R&B/Rap/HipHop, Alternative so really all sort. I was curious if you could recommend any amp/headphones that will suit my needs ? I am looking to spend up to $700 or more but prefer around that figure for time been and once i learn more about it then i will look for something even better. Thanks in advance.
onal.

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 12
Do you need isolation from outside noises?

Are you looking for a portable amp or a desktop model?

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 12
Hi Claritas

Yes I would prefer closed headphones, amp prefer desk as majority of the time will be used at work and at home.

I was reading up on schiit magni + modi they seem to be reviewed well and decent price ?

Thanks.

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 12
SRH840 plays rock and R&B well; don't know about rap. It's warm but still quite clear. This is a good starting point for further research: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed. HP50 has some favorable reviews and it sounds as if the bass balance might be what you're after.

M/M is fine. I prefer O2+ODAC for the versatility (potentially portable and works with IEMs too), its having a Sabre DAC, and the full set of measurements. M/M certainly wins on looks, if that matters to you.

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 12
  SRH840 plays rock and R&B well; don't know about rap. It's warm but still quite clear. This is a good starting point for further research: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed. HP50 has some favorable reviews and it sounds as if the bass balance might be what you're after.

M/M is fine. I prefer O2+ODAC for the versatility (potentially portable and works with IEMs too), its having a Sabre DAC, and the full set of measurements. M/M certainly wins on looks, if that matters to you.

Thanks mate, will definitely have a look at your suggestion.

Its weird the more i read the more it sometimes gets confusing.

If anyone has any other suggestion please let me know.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #10 of 12
  would you prefer to use M/M or the O2+ODAC ?

They're both fine. M/M is the more popular one probably because it's cheaper and looks more "audiophile." I'd prefer O2+ODAC. I found M/M a little brighter, but so what. (I'd like to hear it again soon to confirm that.) I like the internals on ODAC and the honest, informative specs on the Objective combo. I also like being able to use IEMs with it, which didn't work well on the other one. And to take it on the road; I've taken it round to all my friends and they love it.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks Claritas,

I think i might go with HE400 and O2+DAC from reading review on HE400 it seems like for the money i want to spend and music i listen should be just fine.

thanks for you help.

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #12 of 12
Thanks Claritas,

I think i might go with HE400 and O2+DAC from reading review on HE400 it seems like for the money i want to spend and music i listen should be just fine.

thanks for you help.

You're most welcome. Best luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back