Need help choosing a pair of inexpensive over-ear headphones, good for classical.
Aug 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

weeblewooble

New Head-Fier
So here is the skinny:

My brother in law will be attending The Julliard School in the fall to study classical music composition. If you've heard of the school you know that its super prestigious, and to be accepted to attend is a big deal. I wanted to get him an awesome pair of headphones, he can use in his dorm room to listen to music for his classes.
He is not an audiophile, (well I hesitate saying that when considering his course of study) but the only earphones he has ever used are the little buds that come with your ipod.

I will try to outline what I think would be the ideal pair for him, or at least the different specifics you'd need to recommend something. (arranged in no specific order)

1. Style of music:
He listens, composes, practices, and plays a TON of classical music. The phones would almost exclusively be used for that genre.

2. Sound Isolation:
Sound isolation might be a big factor so he can tune out his roomates, who may be practicing instruments, or listening to their own music.

3. Budget:
I'd like to spend less than 100 dollars

4. Style?
I've seen in other threads people ask how important style is, so I'll answer that question as best I can, I think he would want something he wouldn't feel silly wearing and being seen wearing by classmates/roomates. So I think style is pretty important. Besides, I'd hate to have spent all this time researching, just to have him be unwilling to wear the phones. I do realize however that syle is very subjective.

5.Amp?
The only other consideration I can think of is, I don't believe he would want to mess with an amp. He'd just want to plug them into his laptop or ipod and be done.

Taking these factors into account, I've been favoring these candidates.

superlux 668b
Koss ProDJ100
brainwavz hm3

But I'm open to any other suggestions as well, so which did I miss?

So what should I get him?

Thanks so much for your time and consideration.
-weeblewooble.

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 10
The superlux is probably an ok bet. 

the HM3, from what I read.... definitely not.

The Grado SR-80 I think would work nicely, but I don't own it, so you will haveto read up for yourself.

I can say, you want a headphone with good highs, and that is quite analytical, I would have said AKG, but they need an amp.

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

The Grado SR-80 I think would work nicely, but I don't own it, so you will haveto read up for yourself.

I can say, you want a headphone with good highs, and that is quite analytical, I would have said AKG, but they need an amp.

The 668b are very analytical.

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

I don't think the SR-80's would be a good choice. He said that sound isolation is important, and the Grados are an open headphone, so won't they be leaking quite a bit of sound? I also don't own a pair, so I can't say for sure. 

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 10
OP, I would try looking into the AKG line of headphones since from what I have read they seem to do very well with classical music due to their great detail, instrument seperation, and soundstage.  However, most of the models that seem to be worth getting are over $100 dollars.  Hopefully you find what you are looking for.

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
OP, I would try looking into the AKG line of headphones since from what I have read they seem to do very well with classical music due to their great detail, instrument seperation, and soundstage.  However, most of the models that seem to be worth getting are over $100 dollars.  Hopefully you find what you are looking for.

Read more, type less, I gather you are trying to help, but we did suggest that, and the fact that they need a fairly decent and musical amp is of concern.

Quote:

I don't think the SR-80's would be a good choice. He said that sound isolation is important, and the Grados are an open headphone, so won't they be leaking quite a bit of sound? I also don't own a pair, so I can't say for sure. 

Whoops forgot about that. You are correct.

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Read more, type less, I gather you are trying to help, but we did suggest that, and the fact that they need a fairly decent and musical amp is of concern.

Whoops forgot about that. You are correct.

Woops sorry for missing that.  I was under the impression that the lower end AKG model's (<$100) don't need amps from what I have read so far.  But I am definitely not an expert in that regard since the only AKG headphone I have heard was the K701 (which to my ears sounded fine without an amp).

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the suggestions!

I am now on the verge of buying him these:

SHURE SRH440 on amazon for 94.96 USD

From what I'm reading, they are "Great isolation, folds for portability, and detachable cable. Clean sound, somewhat neutral" 
thats quoted from http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide a buying guide on the wiki.

Sounds like just the ticket.

The reason I'm moving away from the superlux 668B is the "semi open" design, which I don't believe to be ideal.

What do ya think?

Thanks,
weeblewooble

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions!

I am now on the verge of buying him these:

SHURE SRH440 on amazon for 94.96 USD

From what I'm reading, they are "Great isolation, folds for portability, and detachable cable. Clean sound, somewhat neutral" 
thats quoted from http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide a buying guide on the wiki.

Sounds like just the ticket.

The reason I'm moving away from the superlux 668B is the "semi open" design, which I don't believe to be ideal.

What do ya think?

Thanks,
weeblewooble

Sounds like a good choice, I've heard that the highs can be a little sharp, but I don't think it's too severe of an issue. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back