Need help choosing a pair of inexpensive IEM, mostly for metal and classical.
Oct 2, 2012 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kodefoo

New Head-Fier
Hello,

My buddy told me to look here for good advice so i can make an educated purchase. I have glanced around through some of the threads and still don't have a super grasp on all the terms so please excuse the audio noob . I am looking for a durable set in the $30-40$ range that will sound good with my music taste.

research i have done so far:
The M4 and M2 look very durable and they seem to have good sound.  I am a little weary that the bass might be to much on the m4. The m2s look nice but a few of the reviews said they were not that great for acoustic/classical. The Thinksound ts01 looks to have a good sound but i am unsure of the durability. I also took a look at the huge review thread, and found Asrtrotec AM-90. They looked like they would be great sound and very good durability. i kind of like the reduction of bass. I also found a pair of VSONIC GR02 Pro in my price range.

music tastes:
I will be listening to mostly metal genre and classical with some mumford type music sprinkled in. 

other info:
I do not have an amp so i will be using an android smartphone as the music source. I like to be immersed in the music when i am listening so with my current studio monitor headphones i have to turn it up to 75%-90%. I like to hear the guitars and vocals and other instruments more than the thump of bass.

EDIT: if i am looking in the wrong place...or if i am being un-realistic in my price range looking for durability and good sound then please let me know if i am better off waiting a few months and picking up the RE0s or something.

EDIT: added more IEMs

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 7
I found the review for the Brainwavz M5s to be what I think I want. I am probably going to go with these. If anyone can see a serious flaw in my choice please let me know. I was going off this Review

Oct 3, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
I found the review for the Brainwavz M5s to be what I think I want. I am probably going to go with these. If anyone can see a serious flaw in my choice please let me know. I was going off this Review

Hey kodefoo, I personally don't own the M5s (and haven't heard them).  However, if ClieOS says they're "warm and sweet", I'm inclined to believe that they are.  And if he says that they're not up to par in terms of "overall clarity and micro-detail retrieval" then I'm inclined to believe that as well.  Having said that...

I don't think that the M5s will be right for what you listen to.  If you're mostly listening to metal and classical, and you want to hear vocals and other instruments more than the thump of bass, you're probably going to want something reasonably bright with good detail, clarity and resolution.  And you're on a budget to boot...

That being the case, have a look at this thread on the Monoprice 8320.  It just might be what you're looking for, and will save you a grip of cash if it is.

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 7
well crud. I was going off what he said in the review how they would be good across all genre's. Here is the quote: "But M5 offers more texture on the vocal range and an overall richer, room-filling tone that still maintains a relatively good balance of quantity between different frequency ranges and soundstage, making it a good all arounder for different genre of music."

I was sure that warm and sweet is what i wanted. I don't like Tinny and i don't want to kill my ears with a lot of bass. So i pulled the trigger on them. I am sure anything is an upgrade though. I currently am using stock earbuds that came with my phone. My main headsets at work are a pair of sony monitor ones i picked up at best buy for $20, and at home i use the corsair 2000s. So i am sure the m5s will be a huge upgrade.

Thankyou though for the advice. If i hate the m5s i will send them back and look into the cheaper pair you suggested. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I currently am using stock earbuds that came with my phone.

In that case, you will most likely LOVE the M5s, LOL!  Since you've already pulled the trigger, by all means give them a good evaluation.  If you end up liking them, then hey it's all good!

BTW, welcome to Head-Fi.  Sorry about your wallet. 
smile.gif

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

In that case, you will most likely LOVE the M5s, LOL!  Since you've already pulled the trigger, by all means give them a good evaluation.  If you end up liking them, then hey it's all good!

BTW, welcome to Head-Fi.  Sorry about your wallet. 
smile.gif

Thanks! I love music and now i have a good site to find great ways to enjoy it...my wife is not thrilled though! haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back