Need help choosing a open heaphone for awesome competitive gaming and rock music listening experiences, $250 at maximum
Feb 23, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #16 of 21
  Dunno, pretty much any of those headphones could be contenders.. But if I have to throw some out, I'd say out with dt880 and k701 because I don't think they'd fit your music preference too well.

I think I'd recommend the ma900 or x1 because they are easy to drive and should sound pretty good, but really all the options are viable as they all fit your requirenments well..

Which one you'd like the most, though.. Can't say.

I'll send you a pm on a nice offer that I am not allowed to mention on this site, which could be a good option as well.

Oh thank you for the PM, that's a good price =). But why do you think the DTs and Q701s don't fit the rock music requirements? I was told they have a good treble and warm sound, this isn't good?About the other ones, something I like on the Sony and Philips is they are more supported here in my country than the other brands, so it's a plus to them. I'm going to read/what some more reviews of those, thank you.

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #17 of 21
  What did you paired your HP with? Soundcard? I really like Sennheiser, they have a good construction quality and overall very good sound quality from what I've read, but I don't know how they perform with rock songs... Guys, put the Sennheiser HD598 in the comparison list...

Directly out of the headphone jack on the motherboard for gaming.

I also still use my 598s with my practice amp.

I won't make any claims about the sound.  I've virtually always used Sennheisers and I like them for anything.  I'm pretty sure after 100 hours you're going to prefer the sound of whatever it is you end up buying.

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #18 of 21

Oh thank you for the PM, that's a good price =). But why do you think the DTs and Q701s don't fit the rock music requirements? I was told they have a good treble and warm sound, this isn't good?About the other ones, something I like on the Sony and Philips is they are more supported here in my country than the other brands, so it's a plus to them. I'm going to read/what some more reviews of those, thank you.

More like bright and dry-ish, perhaps analytical. Not saying they'd be bad or anything..

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #21 of 21
Just saw this on Fidelio X1 Threads

I can compare the X1 and DT990. they are more similar than different. The DT990 is a bit brighter and more aggressive. The mid bass has more punch in the DT990 but the X1 goes lower. In the mids the X1 is less recessed but the mids are recessed across a wider frequency range. Like using a parametric eq with a very wide Q. The DT990 is also recessed in the mids but I feel it is across a narrower frequency range/Q. For guitar driven music the DT990 is more engaging. The X1 would be the more boring of the two in the mids but they make up for it with deeper bass. Having said that a lot of rock music doesn't have any real sub bass so that poit could be mute. I also prefer the brighter treble for rock and in that regard the DT990 wins as well. The x1 is a bit more comfortable for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back