need help choosing a nice pair of headphones
Jan 3, 2008 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Adam2

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a nice pair of headphones. I mostly listen to older music (pre-1975)... rhythm and blues, roots music, etc. The group I listen to the most is The Band. I'd like headphones with a natural, accurate sound. Tight, well defined bass. A warm, clear sound, with clarity and detail to all the instruments. I want to hear all the details of those old recordings. I am only using CD players and an Ipod. $200 is the most I would want to spend, but I'd like to find something between $100 and $150. I want closed headphones that provide good isolation.

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 13
If you want closed you should look at the Equation RP-21, Beyer DT 770/80 (lively fun sound), and some AKGs at the higher end. Lower priced cans are the Sony V6 (pretty good with details) and the Sennheiser HD280 (for a warm sound). There are many others too, but these are pretty ubiquitous in discussions around here. Audio Technica, Beyerdynamic, AKG and Sennheiser all make great closed cans.

I've heard the 770/80s, the V6 and the 280, so I won't comment on the others. The Beyer has alot of bass, which could (depending on your preferences) be good or bad for your music; music was pretty clear, but the 770/80s are pretty colored. The V6 is pretty good, but a bit unrefined (but pretty cheap on Amazon). The 280 is too laid back and muffled on the high end.

The Grado you mentioned is open; very open in fact as Grados leak sound like a sieve.

Jan 4, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #5 of 13
I am floored by the amount of people on this forum who endorse the RP-21. Well, not to many long-time members do.

A) Most painful headphone I've ever worn. It lasted about one minute on my head before I wanted to kill myself.

B) Sounds like crap.

You are much better off getting a pair of decent Sony's for that price or the older model Beyer 770.

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 13
I wouldn't bother with the SR-125 or SR-225 in your case. Either SR-80 or step all the way up to the SR-325. They all do leak oodles of sound, though.

And I second the dismissal of the Equation RP-21. They are the "in" alternative to the Sony V6 or Senn 280 for closed studio phones, but they are only superior in terms of cachet and exclusivity. I wouldn't say they sound bad, buy they don't blow away the competition.

Jan 5, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 13
Some people, especially those who like lots of bass, prefer the sound of closed headphones. Generally though, most people feel that open headphones sound better at a given price point. Of course, this is moot if you can't hear your music because of outside noise!

Good taste in bands, though.

Jan 5, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 13
Grado SR-60's have been my main headphones for years, until very recently, and I think they sound great with that kind of music. SR-60's and SR-80's are known to sound good straight out of a CD playor iPod; maybe someone could say whether the SR-225's you're interested in are the same, or do they need an amp?

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #12 of 13
I'm very close to making a decision and buying the SR-225. i keep doing more research and finding different opinions, though. some say Grados have a "coloration", the highs are too much, not enough lows, etc. are all these true? i want headphones that sound natural and accurately produce the sound of the recordings... i was worried when i saw "coloration". i currently have Bose Triports, and i knew they are hated, but i think they sound great. i'm hoping the upgrade will be worth it.

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No amp? The A900/A700 is worth a look. The AD900/AD700 have more clarity and detail but you wont feel the bass.

I do love my Audio Technica A700s. At a $130, they are a steal, and I run them without amp through my ipod constantly. They sound great. Do yourself a favour and at least check some reviews of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back