Need help choosing a new pair of portable headphones, that are also decent with gaming.
Dec 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GangXtaZz

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm having a really hard time choosing a new pair of headphones, and i really need some help.
I'm a newbie when it comes to headphones, so bare with me.
I play alot of games, and listen to lots of music (dubstep, metalcore, house, classic.. LOTS of genres). 2 years ago i bought my first pair of "expensive headphones" - the steelseries siberia v2.It was really nice for gaming and not really that bad for music and i did have fun with them, but, after only 4 months the left speaker stopped working and i couldn't change them under warranty since i lost my bill and shipping them directly to steelseries was too expensive.Well, 1.5 years have passed since then and i bought a new pair (after using mostly unexpensive in-ear buds) the Razer Tiamat 2.2.While the gaming was amazing, they're really bad for listening to music( though the bass on these ones are AMAZING, it was too strong most of the time).I don't game so much now, since i got a job and everything so i need a pair of portable headphones work great with music and good enough for gaming.So i returned the tiamat for a pair of Sennheiser HD 439 since i've read lots of good reviews about them.While they sounded really really nice, they weren't loud enough on my Htc One X, neither on my computer with my Xonar's DG head amp driving them at 32ohm was louder than on my phone but still not loud enough to be enveloping, and at 64ohm they were starting to get distorted.They didn't look that great either so i returned them too.

TL;DR
Now i'm having trouble choosing between two pairs of hp. The Sennheiser Momentum on ear and Soul SL150 by Loudacris. I like the design of MOE much much better, and they're obviously a better pair, but i can get the SL150 at half of their price (225$ for MOE and 115$ SL150). So i was wondering..
Is it worth it to pay the extra 110$ for MOE? How's the sound of the MOE compared to SL150? ( i have listened to SL100 in a store and they were loud enough for me, but i don't really know if they were amped or anything somewhere on the line before the jack that went into my phone...)
I am also open for other headphones recommendations, but please note that I live in Romania and the're aren't lots of brands available on the market.. (and shipping from amazon costs over 60$.. so yeah.)

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 4
AKG k550 gets a vote. Good for gaming and nice sound. Yet, you might have problems with the fit. I did when I auditioned them. 

Go with the senn momentum over the ludacris. You will not be dissappointed. 

Both headphones should get plenty loud. The hd 439 should be plenty loud as well. I think you might be listening too loud, yet, I don't know your equipment. Had it been an iphone I can tell you it would be more than loud enough.

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 4
  AKG k550 gets a vote. Good for gaming and nice sound. Yet, you might have problems with the fit. I did when I auditioned them. 

Go with the senn momentum over the ludacris. You will not be dissappointed. 

Both headphones should get plenty loud. The hd 439 should be plenty loud as well. I think you might be listening too loud, yet, I don't know your equipment. Had it been an iphone I can tell you it would be more than loud enough.

Thanks for responding, i will take a look at the AKG's, it's sad that i have no possibility to test these hp. As for the hd 439, i used a htc one x as source, and compared to my in ear buds (sony mdr-ex50) they were pretty quiet. It also depends on the songs i'm listening.. when i'm listening to dubstep or electronic music i want them to get really loud, and others genres probably at 50% of that volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back