Need Help Choosing a Minidisc Player
Nov 23, 2003 at 10:15 PM Post #16 of 30
In case you were wondering...

The MD-MT80/MT90
sharp_mdmt80.jpg

(it says that it's a MT80, but it looks the same as the big pic that says MT90...

The R50
MZ-R50_S_01_low.jpg

sony_mzr50_2.jpg

Nov 24, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #17 of 30
Schizeophonic,
two of the cans you mentioned, v6 & kcs-35 (i have both) have nice bass, but with the wrong player, can get too bass-heavy. a lot of sony portables (especially minidisc, from my experience and what i've read) have a little more bass eq added to the headphone out. the r50 is the exception, the headphone out is powerful, but also unusually neutral for a sony--so it works well with those bass-happy cans.

the r50 has an internal lith-ion battery which is rechargable, and a battery pack for aa, which you can use aa rechargables (i do). it doesn't have the long battery life of newer units, but you hear where that power is going in the heapdhone out. the one sharp unit i've heard sounded grainy and thin compared to the sony's, but i'm sure it was just a dud model.

Nov 24, 2003 at 6:04 AM Post #18 of 30
I have been reading... and reading... and I really want the R50, but the whole thing with Atrac 4 kinda scares me, and also the fact that the player is 6 years old. Can it really hold up to the newer players? It sounds like it fits all my needs except for the Atrac 4. I can't help but think that i might regret not getting something wit h Atrac R...

HELP HELP HELp
I think my obssesion may be getting the best of me... I mean for a 100 bucks i can't get everything right???....

Nov 24, 2003 at 6:13 AM Post #19 of 30
Also, how long should one of those lith-ion batteries last?... and how much do they cost (if they can even still be bought for the unit)....I did a search, and I think i found that you can buy them somewhere for 20 bucks. Does this seem right?

Nov 24, 2003 at 9:52 AM Post #22 of 30
There are plenty of generic LiP8 cells around for the R50, and they run around $20 or so. Really, if you record from a newer Type-R MD unit, you'll find your discs will sound stunning on the R50. If you can get an R50 for the $100 limit, get it!

ATRAC 4 isn't so bad, it's just there are better codecs with the newer models.....

Nov 24, 2003 at 8:10 PM Post #24 of 30
The MT180 is a basic, no-frills MDR with a robust 10 mW amp. That price sounds pretty good especially with the blanks included. Plus, it does support MDLP for those times you do need/want a lot of tracks on one disc.......The 180 has no remote, however, and I'm not sure if it even has a mic input.

Nov 29, 2003 at 10:11 AM Post #26 of 30
Howie, i found the seller on amazon. com a couple of days ago. I got the guy down to 75 for the 25 minidiscs and the player, or 100 for the 25 discs the player and the usb to optical converter. I was going to buy it but i decided i don't need a MD player. I just checked for you, and its been sold. Sorry.

Nov 29, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Superbaldguy
There are plenty of generic LiP8 cells around for the R50, and they run around $20 or so. Really, if you record from a newer Type-R MD unit, you'll find your discs will sound stunning on the R50. If you can get an R50 for the $100 limit, get it!

ATRAC 4 isn't so bad, it's just there are better codecs with the newer models.....

I'm not sure about it sounding stunning. I just purchased an R50 brand new, and I can tell you that my DR7 sounds extremely better than the R50 (when listening do discs recorded from the DR7). Granted this is through the headphone output. I can't imagine that it would sound any better (R50) through the linout amplified. But I haven't heard it through an amplifier, so I can't really comment on that. I still can't figure out how to build my CMOY
frown.gif
Anybody have an extra CMOY for me to test out
cool.gif
?

Nov 30, 2003 at 12:29 AM Post #28 of 30
Yes, the MZ-R50's headphone out isn't spectacular but its line out blows most other units away. That's where the headphone amp works its magic on the R50......Trust me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2003 at 11:02 AM Post #29 of 30
I got myself a md player just two days ago (the Sony 410 model) and thus far I am very happy with the sound quality. It drives my mx500 very well, and has more than enough juice to make my grado sr80 sound good ( for quiet environments: found that 17/30 volume is adequate/enough for comfortable listening volume). Even though it uses atrac LP2, some sort of Sony compression im still learning more about,

I already have a harddrive based mp3 player, it's a 10 gig Treo, but the connectors inside the headphone out is going bad. I thought about getting a flash based mp3 player, but saw that it's too costly for the amount of memory i get.

Compared to a $30 64 or 128mb flash card, a $2 80min (or 160min when LP2 is used) is a better deal in my opinion.

Yeah, found some some great SHARP MD-MT90 pictures:

http://mdman.net/minidisc/mdr/sharp/mt90/snap/

confused.gif
I'm not sure if i will kick myself in the future, because the 410 sony md model doesnt come with any line ins (like optical), besides the usb. But hey, Good Guys have a $30 rebate for it till the mid/end of December.

Let me reiterate: I am impressed by the sound quality from the md.
biggrin.gif
And yeah, handling the md disc is pretty cool too.

Dec 2, 2003 at 12:51 PM Post #30 of 30
Even with lower-end models, MiniDisc will provide pleasing sound. I suspect the MT90 would sound even better, though. The N410 is fine if you're an mp3 lover, but has some serious limitations, otherwise.

Anyway, if you learn to like the format, there will be more units......
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back