Need help choosing a headphone for listening at home.
Aug 13, 2012 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

draydox

New Head-Fier
Hello, I've been looking for a good pair of cans for a while, these would be my first high quality pair that I would be purchasing. I'd be using these headphones at home only and would not mind any kind of bulkiness that would get in the way of portability. I had heard reviews of the Q701's and HD558's that say they are nice for reaching the ranges of bass and treble without over doing it. If there are any headphones that cost less than the ones I mentioned and have similar performance it would be nice to know as well.

My budget is under $400. I'll be using these for mostly music and occasionally movies. 

I listen to:
Happy Hardcore
Euro beat
Jazz
Drum and Bass
Classical
Funk

I do want to be able to hear low frequencies but I do not want over done low frequencies. I'd like to be able to hear female vocals well. 

As far as comfort I prefer around the ear style, although on ear is fine, as a reference I think the mdr-XD200 are very comfortable, I can wear them for hours. Anything with a similar design of padding is great! 

I'd be using these with my computer so I was also planning on getting a Xonar XD sound card.

I'm fairly new to head-fi and audiophile equipment so any help is appreciated! 

(P.S. I live in Canada and I have a hard time finding headphones, if anyone knows some good websites in the country it'd be greatly appreciated! 
biggrin.gif
)

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 12
A suggestion for you.  Look for a used pair of HD-580 headphones from Sennheiser.  That model is the model that was out before the HD-600 and 650 came on the market.  The ear pads and various parts are interchangeable between the 580, 600 and 650.  The 580s come up from time-to-time on eBay and even here.

It appears the 580 provides a bit of better detail / higher end frequencies than even the 650.  Plus, you'll save some money along the way.

Enjoy!

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 12
KRK KNS 8400

Shure 840

Phillips Uptown

Cheerz!

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
KRK KNS 8400

Shure 840

Phillips Uptown

Cheerz!

These are all very well priced. Do you have any experiences with them and how they compare to the Sennheiser or AKG's?
Quote:
A suggestion for you.  Look for a used pair of HD-580 headphones from Sennheiser.  That model is the model that was out before the HD-600 and 650 came on the market.  The ear pads and various parts are interchangeable between the 580, 600 and 650.  The 580s come up from time-to-time on eBay and even here.

It appears the 580 provides a bit of better detail / higher end frequencies than even the 650.  Plus, you'll save some money along the way.

Enjoy!

I'll look into the 580's, they seem like I would enjoy them more than the 558's, thank you!

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 12
KRK KNS 8400 - details, clarity, accurate...lows are quality...awesome for vocals really.. 

Shure 840 - good lows and mids, highs for me we quite ok, some report them to be lacking...

Phillips Uptown - Not heard, but damn good reviews.

Cheerz !!!

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
If you're not a bass freak the sennheiser suggestions are good, HD558/598 both are fun headphone models to listen to. 

I like an extensive bass but not an over done bass. The 598's can be for sale as much as the k701's. But I hear that they are very similar to the 558's. Are the 598's and k701's comparable in that sense? Also I was curious about the k/q701's, would they be worth putting out the extra bucks for a pair? I see some on sale for $350.

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
I like an extensive bass but not an over done bass. The 598's can be for sale as much as the k701's. But I hear that they are very similar to the 558's. Are the 598's and k701's comparable in that sense? Also I was curious about the k/q701's, would they be worth putting out the extra bucks for a pair? I see some on sale for $350.

I haven't done a comparison of the 598/AKG yet, but i saw somewhere you can mod the HD558's to make them sound similar to the HD598. 

The aspect i like from the sennhs models is that they are both low impedance, and not amp dependant like Akg.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
KRK KNS 8400

Shure 840

Phillips Uptown

Cheerz!

I had the Philips Uptown for a period of a few weeks.  Initially, I was impressed.  Beautiful sound and then as the headphones broke-in a bit more, the upper frequencies really started to develop a harshness to them.  I couldn't believe what had been such a good sound, eventually turned the other direction.  Then, I looked at the whole picture.  The flat headphone cable had a very fragile appearance and quality to it, and I felt that within a few months, that would have busted.  So, I ended up returning them within my return window.

If one is considering something from Philips, then look at their $299 model, which is quite a great performer.  I don't have the model number, but it's the one that MSRPs at $299.  Also, stay away from any of the Philips O'Neil headphones - those are older versions, and don't have the sound quality of the newer Philips products though.

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

I had the Philips Uptown for a period of a few weeks.  Initially, I was impressed.  Beautiful sound and then as the headphones broke-in a bit more, the upper frequencies really started to develop a harshness to them.  I couldn't believe what had been such a good sound, eventually turned the other direction.  Then, I looked at the whole picture.  The flat headphone cable had a very fragile appearance and quality to it, and I felt that within a few months, that would have busted.  So, I ended up returning them within my return window.

If one is considering something from Philips, then look at their $299 model, which is quite a great performer.  I don't have the model number, but it's the one that MSRPs at $299.  Also, stay away from any of the Philips O'Neil headphones - those are older versions, and don't have the sound quality of the newer Philips products though.

I think you mean the Fidelio L1...
Tks for sharing your experience on the Uptowns, first time I ever heard a complain of 'harshness' on them...i will keep that in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back