Need help choosing a headphone amp !
Mar 24, 2013 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

davidlynch1982

New Head-Fier
I'v listen to my music through my headphones more than through my speakers but I now feel that I'm not really getting the full potential from my headphones with me only using the onboard front mounted jacks as I can imagine they are only put there as a convenience.
My main system for when I'm not using my headphones is:

Pioneer A6 amp
Pioneer D6 sacd
Van Den Hul 'The Name' interconnects
B&W CM1 monitors on Partington Super Dreadnaught connected with QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable

This system sounds very neutral and doesn't colour the signal which suits me but sounds very un-exciting through headphones.
I use my old Teac Ref300 seperates with Atlas Element Integra interconnects for listening to my headphones. I like closed back cans and have just bought some Beyerdynamic DT770M Pro 80ohm as I had some a few years ago and really enjoyed listening through them.

So today I popped along to my local Richer Sounds and walked away with a btech headphone amp upon recommendation by the staff. I opened the box and thought it looked like a really cheap piece of kit, but then again it was cheap so I should have known better ! I'm not even going to try it - it's going straight back for a refund !

I could really use help and advice from you guys as to what headphone amp to buy please. I don't want to spend a small fortune but my budget is flexible if it's really going to bring my DT770's alive.

Help me please :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back