Need help choosing a desktop amp and dac, mostly for classical and r&b
Sep 27, 2013 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

qtiefi

New Head-Fier
I currently got the sennheiser hd600 as my first pair of headphones. I have the fiio e17 for portable use but I also want an amp and dac for desktop use. It doesn't matter if the amp+dac is separate or together, they just have to work with each other. I will not be moving it around. I have looked at the schiit asgard 2+modi, aune t1, and bottlehead crack. I do not know much about tube amps and maintaining it, and I am not comfortable building my own amp. My budget would be more or less than 350$.

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 4
For the HD600, I prefer a tube amp due to the warmer sound. That said, I've had good luck with the Maverick TubeMagic A1 paired with my Maverick TubeMagic D1 Plus. Alternatively, you can just get the D2 DAC instead of the D1 (I bought the D1 before I decided on the A1). The D2 will give you a lot of options for inputs and the A1 will give you options for speakers, etc. The customer service with this company is great as well. Check out www.mav-audio.com or email Ryan at info@mav-audio.com with questions.

I've also heard great things about the Aune T1 and Crack but the Crack does not have a DAC, FYI.

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 4
  I currently got the Sennheiser HD600 as my first pair of headphones. I have the Fiio E17 for portable use but I also want an amp and DAC for desktop use. It doesn't matter if the amp+dac is separate or together, they just have to work with each other. I will not be moving it around. I have looked at the Schiit Asgard 2+Modi, Aune t1, and Bottlehead crack. I do not know much about tube amps and maintaining it, and I am not comfortable building my own amp. My budget would be more or less than 350$.

What portable source are you plugging the E17 into now?
I'm assuming your only using the E17's amp with this portable source?
Have you even tried plugging the E17 into the desktop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back