Need help choosing a decent dac/amp combo under 150$ to go with the headphone i'll go with if i need it
Oct 14, 2016 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Xutos

New Head-Fier
I have been searching for 2 days for a good pair of headphone mainly for gaming and listening metal but i also listen to other genre of music too and since barely know anything about audio and i am starting to be a bit overwhelmed i would really like it someone could help me out.

Here are criteria i would like:

No headset
Don't require amp or dac (will be using onboard sound)
Over ear
Detachable cable
Preferably closed headphone maybe open or semi-open if they don't leak too much sound with a Modmic and the like. Which my voice chat is always higher then my game/music volume
Durable (not made of too much plastic if possible and even more durable if they fold or swivel so they don't snap at those spot)
Price range of 100 to 200$ maybe a bit more if they are build really solid
Have Canadian Authorized Reseller to avoid brokerage fee
Hopefully last more then 2 years or have a 2 years warranty
Comfortable (its alright if they need a little break in before they really are, will be using them on average at least 2 hours a days up to much much more from time to time)
Decent size ear pads so my ears don't touch the driver or rub too much inside the ear pads

Will buy better ear pads if the original one are really uncomfortable or increase sound quality a lot

Here are some of the headphone i had look before getting overwhelmed:

Audio Technica ATH-M40x
Beyendynamic Custom One Pro Plus
Superlux HD668B
V-MODA (all of them nearly went with the XS before i realized they were on ear) (not too sure about them since the other model are more bass oriented from what i read but LOVE the build quality from the look of it anyway wandering if ill still pick one up even with the bass issue not that i mind it if the voice stay decent and the rest is decent for metal and gaming)
Seinheiser HD 518-588

Don't hesitate to suggest other model or brand if it fit the description

Currently using Razer Kraken Pro with Zalman mic since i upgrade to windows 10 for some reason the Kraken mic started picking my audio for some reason even after audio driver reinstall. If it were for the fact that the Razer Surround software made them sound better for my taste and that i got it free before they started selling the pro version at first i was really disappointed with them before using the software or maybe a burn in issue still not that great without the software wish i did not have to use it since emulated surround don't make much difference for me. Had to RMA them cause the headband snapped on the first pair close to 2 years with this one before slowly starting to loose left side from time to time can't figure out where the problem is when moving the cable.

Used to love the sound a pair of cheap 50$ Sony headphone about 4-5 years ago before they broke can't remember the model but the headband was really bad was made of 2 plastic "bar" and 2 rubber "bar" as cushion don't know what they are called but still i am not sure if they are the one that made a small bump on top of my head over time.

Also used to love some old 5.1 analog Zalman Headphone that i used maybe around 10-12 years ago but broke way too easily used 3 pair since i liked them so much back then would go through a pair per year plastic would snap where it fold but they were around 80$ back then.

I only change headphone/headset when they brake which is why i am asking for help since i want to go with higher quality

Sorry for the bad english and grammar i have not learn my english in school so meh usually can get people to understand what i am trying to say. Hopefully the wall of text is not too painful was trying to give as much details as i could think.  Thanks

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 6
Check out the Soundmagic HP200 semi-open headphones.
https://www.amazon.com/SoundMAGIC-HP200-Premium-Folding-Headphones/dp/B00DJ61FHY

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 6
With some little digging i might be a little more interested in the HP150 since they are closed and some say they sound a little better, also i am not too sure about both model with there cable since not all fit in them.

I like to be in my "bubble" when using headphone so i don't hear my computer, fan or dogs moving around which is why i think i prefer closed.

Since i don't think i have ever try open or semi headphone i would maybe more willing to try the HD668B

Or try to last the one i currently use as long as possible and go over my budget and try the V-MODA M100

Anyway still searching, god i hate having so much choice and no local store to try some of them or other model

Oct 15, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 6
Starting to think i might go and try the HD668B with velour pads and a modmic and maybe a good affordable amp/dac combo for them that could also work if i were to go with something like DT 770 Pro 80 or 250 ohms in the future would be great since i am not even sure my onboard is good enough for the HD668B would test them first anyway

The amp/dac combo does not require to be portable as its going to stay on my desk all the time whatever is cheaper and does the job for both would be great (i am even more lost when it come do amp and dac lol)

Or maybe go straight for the DT 770 Pro 32 maybe 80 omhs right now

Edit: "New info i have a Realtek ALC892 onboard if it can help figure out what i can use without amp"

Edit #2: Going to give you a idea of the type of music i listen while its mostly metal i also enjoy many style within in it and outside i can go from Lamb of God, The Black Dahlia Murder, Amon Amarth, Hatebreed, In Flames, Killswitch Engage,Darkest Hour Slayer, Iron Maiden, Meshuggah, 3 Inches of Blood, AC/DC, Rhapsody( of Fire), Lost Horizon, Dream Theater, i also enjoy some instrumental too like Clint Mansell, Joe Stump or OST of game like Demons Souls-Dark Souls series or like Super Meat Boy and Hotline Miami and on some rare occasion some pop with very punchy bass but not enough to focus on it

Probably some of my favorite track are:
Darkest Hour - Terra Solaris
Darkest Hour - Veritas, Aequitas

So if there could be a good all around it would be nice but with enough bass that explosion and stuff like that in game good

Edit #3: Just found out about the Status Audio CB-1 they look very interesting but still not sure which one i would go for so far those i would like to try out more are the CB-1, HD668b and the DT-770

Also the AIAIAI TMA-2 could also be a good alternative just not sure which config would fit me best since i barely know anything about audio but they would be easy to repair if they break so thats a plus, i would love to find headphone that last me more than 2 years before they snap or start losing one side

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 6
I think i will go with the DT 770 Pro 80 ohms and wait till i try them out and see how much volume i have to use with them

If someone could suggest me a good amp dac combo under 150$ and if it support coaxial / optical even better if not no big deal in case i love those headphone so much and don't want to use them only on my pc

Will probably mod them to have detachable cable when the warranty is over

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #6 of 6
Got my 770 pro 80 ohms really pleased with them and finally i don't need software emulation to have good sound

I would like to have to have some suggestion for a dac amp combo or maybe something close to what i would get if i would go with a schitt stack or o2 + odac but can't afford them right now i can only afford 150$ for that right now or could try endure them as it is for now and save some cash but would not know which one to go between the schitt stack or the o2 + odac

i did look at the E10k and SMSL SD793-II but i would love to have something if possible that is not usb powered and that i could use for console gaming too i also understand that maybe have i can't have i want everything i want within my price range and i am really not sure about SMSL i can't even find their official website with google

i can use my 770 with my onboard but some game require me to max out my volume everywhere and i get some slight static sometime which is why i am thinking i need amp or a dac or both i don't know if could get away with only a dac or amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back