Need help choosing a DAP
Oct 23, 2016 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

absolude

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Hi-Fi. My newly acquired Bowers & Wilkins P7 headphones reminded me the sound of music can be as important as melody, rithm etc.
I'm looking to make up for time/experiences lost and buy a better source for my music. I'm listening mostly at work using a very old iPod and an analog radio.

Would you be able to recommend a DAP that matches my headphones? I'm a beginner so ease of use and less bugs is preferable.

I can get a decent price on a Cayin N6 locally but I'm not sure if I could get support to get me started. Their site is not working so not very encouraging.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Oct 23, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 9
Not sure what your budget is but a great starter DAP would be the fiio x1. I got mine a few months ago and it works pretty well, but there are a few qwerks and it is a bit laggy at times. Nothing serious, but it won't be as responsive as say a newer smartphone. What it does offer is great software and expandable storage, allowing you to have up to 128gb of space.

Oct 23, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 9
Not sure what your budget is but a great starter DAP would be the fiio x1. I got mine a few months ago and it works pretty well, but there are a few qwerks and it is a bit laggy at times. Nothing serious, but it won't be as responsive as say a newer smartphone. What it does offer is great software and expandable storage, allowing you to have up to 128gb of space.

Nice to see it doesn't take a fortune to get great sound. I was prepared to pay more if necessary but then I would need to wait a little.
I'll check it closely.
Hope is easy to use. Only time I've tried to play around with one of these devices I've failed miserably at installing Rockbox on a Sansa.
Thank you.

Oct 23, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 9
The original software is good, so I wouldn't worry about all of that. Generally you wouldn't buy a DAP that costs as much as your headphones, and you don't have to pay an insane amount for good sound. Instead of spending a ton on a dap, buy something like a fiio x1 of a fiio x3ii and use the rest of the money for maybe a nice pair of IEMs. :D

Oct 23, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 9
The original software is good, so I wouldn't worry about all of that. Generally you wouldn't buy a DAP that costs as much as your headphones, and you don't have to pay an insane amount for good sound. Instead of spending a ton on a dap, buy something like a fiio x1 of a fiio x3ii and use the rest of the money for maybe a nice pair of IEMs.
biggrin.gif

Sounds good, especially since I've got the headphones as Airmiles Rewards, lol.

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 9
Cayin and FiiO are VERY active on this Forum. Check out the threads dedicated to their products, ask questions, and you'll get responses.

While the X1 is a fine starter, it is just that. There are better choices, but they all cost more. :)

The N6 is a good product. So is the N5.

The FiiO X1, X3ii, X5ii are all good, each better than the last. Their flagship, the X7 is exceptional. Especially with certain modules.

The iBasso DX80 is a fine choice.

The Cowon players are highly regarded.

What is your budget?

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #7 of 9
Cayin and FiiO are VERY active on this Forum. Check out the threads dedicated to their products, ask questions, and you'll get responses.

While the X1 is a fine starter, it is just that. There are better choices, but they all cost more.
smily_headphones1.gif

The N6 is a good product. So is the N5.

The FiiO X1, X3ii, X5ii are all good, each better than the last. Their flagship, the X7 is exceptional. Especially with certain modules.

The iBasso DX80 is a fine choice.

The Cowon players are highly regarded.

What is your budget?

I was thinking to spend up to $300. In a few months I'd be able to spend a little more.
I'm in Canada and the prices seem a higher than in the US.  The N6 price translates well so that's why I considered it.
Problem is, when trying to search about the company their site wasn't of much help. Nor very encouraging in regards of support if needed.

Is there any brand/model considered more reliable, offering generally reasonably lasting products?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Oct 24, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 9
Every one I mentioned has great reliability and has seen many firmware updates already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back