Need help, cable break at memory wire boundry.
Sep 8, 2014 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Cloud-S

New Head-Fier
So there's a break in the wire and there's no sound on one of the sides.
What's the best way to repair it? Do I need to solder it or replace the complete wiring?
In case of solder, the memory wire would be cut short, solder and then covered with something?
The break is at the point where the normal wire and the memory wire meets. (IEM: BW R1)

NOTE: Its the interface between the normal insulated wire and the memory wire.

I posted in the DIY section but I think, I'll let the professional shop guy do the soldering. I haven't done this before, so just wanted to know if there's anything specific I need to ask the shop guy or something.

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 6
If you don't mind the cable getting an inch shorter just have someone cut, strip and solder the wires back together and yes at least 3 sections of heat shrink tubing will have to be used. This type of wire is often call magnet wire as its used for electromagnets and enamaled wire because instead of a plastic coating it has enamel which is normally color coded so the repair should be easy.

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 6
By the time you strip it back leaving enough room for heatshrink, etc, that's gonna be a fairly monstrous repair job.
A full recable would be a lot cleaner assuming the IEMs in question aren't too hard to crack open.

Sep 13, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 6
  If you don't mind the cable getting an inch shorter just have someone cut, strip and solder the wires back together and yes at least 3 sections of heat shrink tubing will have to be used. This type of wire is often call magnet wire as its used for electromagnets and enamaled wire because instead of a plastic coating it has enamel which is normally color coded so the repair should be easy.

I went to a small shop for soldering and he said that it doesn't have a "wire" inside and it cannot be soldered. He probably meant that the wire inside cannot soldered (enamaled wire?). Now, he wasn't an expert or anything, just a small repair shop. Also, he didn't had a heat shrink tube.

Pic after trimming the outer insulation.

Should I try some other shops or is there anything specific I need to tell him?

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 6
What country are you in? It might end up costing you more to have it recabled then to just buy a new pair. Now if you know someone who can help with the soldering you could get a real cheap iem to use the cable from and if you check out the pictures in this thread you get a good view of the headphone internals http://www.head-fi.org/t/631240/brainwavz-r1-review/780 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back