Need help buying Headphones
Mar 5, 2007 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Rubber_Soul

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am new to this forum.

I am looking for headphones in the price range of $50-200; full-sized headphones (open or closed doesn't really matter) to use at home for mainly music with my mp3 player (iRiver 799) and at the odd time movies or television. Most of the time I listen to rock, sub genres I most listen to include: alternative, indie (Modest Mouse etc.), classic pop rock (The Beatles, etc.), classic metal (Deep Purple, Black Sabbath etc.) and classic punk (The Clash, Television, etc.)

What do you guys recommend I get?

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 20
We have so many of these threads it is not even funny anymore :-/

Try using search function to find recommendations, there should be enough to answer your question >.<

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 20
I listen to mostly rock as well. I didn't want to spend quite as much as you do but I got the MS-1 after a lot of debating and help from the people on these boards I decided to get them. You like to listen to a stuff that's a bit heavier than I do but basically the same. Go check out the ms-1's. They are $99 and everyone who has them likes them.

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubber_Soul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long is the wire on the MS-1?

200 cm, and i agree, ms1 is a good choice.

Mar 5, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #10 of 20
I like mine too. Careful though....they're addictive!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like mine too. Careful though....they're addictive!
very_evil_smiley.gif

relative lack of comfort comparing to circum-aural headphones will save him from audiction (pun anyone?.. it started out as a typo) - or it will mesmerize his ears...

Mar 5, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonflied /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bose On-Ear headphone, perfect sound detail, fashionable shape, reasonable price (USD 159.00). No question about that.

Are you ****ing serious? My $10 ksc75 will show BOSEs whats perfect sound detail all about.

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #14 of 20
The question of Grado/Alessandro comfort pops up quite a bit around here. Grado has gotten a terribly undeserved reputation of being uncomfortable. If a person did a search; they would find literally tons of threads and posts where the question has been asked and then answered by the multitudes volunteering that comfort is not really not the major concern it was reported to be.

Interestingly I find my MS-1s with reversed 414s to be marginally more comfortable than my MS2i with bowls; the same MS2i with bowls that I did a fourteen hour listening marathon with here a few months back. I find my velour padded circumaural HD600s to be almost as comfortable as my MS2i with bowls.

....the HD600s are much more stable though. The MS2i being quite heavy tend to want to fall to the keyboard when I try to type! The 600s stay in place a lot better!!

But, in other words, in my system with my ears I find the MS-1s with 414s to be most comfortable, followed by the MS2l, and finally the HD600s with their admittedly luxurious velour pads, to be the least comfortable.

Go figure.

....luv the sound of the 600s though, they're a permanent possession!
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back