Need Help Buying Headphones (300$ budget)
Dec 24, 2013 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Formae

New Head-Fier
So I'm in the market for some headphones and I have about 300$ to spend. I mostly listen to Rap and Rock, so I'm not sure what to do since those two genres on are different sides of the spectrum. This will be my first "High Quality" head phone purchase. If you have some great pairs for 400$ I am willing to go that high, so feel free to suggest anything I guess! Also, it's important that the headphones have good isolation and are closed off. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 12
What do you plan on plugging the headphones into -- computer, phone, etc.?

If you don't have a dedicated headphone amp/ DAC, that's fine but it will limit your choices. Many headphones people like to recommend work best with an amp and a DAC, so you would have to factor that into your budget if you want one. 

I haven't heard any of these, but for portable closed headphones that don't need an amp or DAC (meaning you just plug them into your headphone jack), popular recommendations include:

Sennhesier Momentum
Bowers and Wilkins P5 or P7
Ultimate Ears UE6000
V-Moda M80 or M100
PSB M4U
NAD HP50

I imagine you like bass if you like rap.... What kind or rock do you like? As long as you don't say acoustic folk music, plenty of headphones could be good for both genres. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 12
  What do you plan on plugging the headphones into -- computer, phone, etc.?

If you don't have a dedicated headphone amp/ DAC, that's fine but it will limit your choices. Many headphones people like to recommend work best with an amp and a DAC, so you would have to factor that into your budget if you want one. 

I haven't heard any of these, but for portable closed headphones that don't need an amp or DAC (meaning you just plug them into your headphone jack), popular recommendations include:

Sennhesier Momentum
Bowers and Wilkins P5 or P7
Ultimate Ears UE6000
V-Moda M80 or M100
PSB M4U
NAD HP50

I imagine you like bass if you like rap.... What kind or rock do you like? As long as you don't say acoustic folk music, plenty of headphones could be good for both genres. 

Thank you for the speedy reply! Most of the Rock I listen to is Rolling Stones, and a little bit of David Bowie and Led Zeppelin. I listen to more Rap than I do rock. I would be plugging it into my phone, but I also plan to get an AMP. Another question I have is what do you think of the Audio Technica ATH-ES10 if you know anything about them. They're at the end of my price range but I hear they're a great set of cans with amazing Bass. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 12
I disagree. I tried out the P7s at an apple store and you could tell that they would benefit from an amp. Considering that the majority of the people buying one aren't using it with an amp, that is why they aren't getting the best sound quality.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 12
  I disagree. I tried out the P7s at an apple store and you could tell that they would benefit from an amp. Considering that the majority of the people buying one aren't using it with an amp, that is why they aren't getting the best sound quality.

Hmm, well I'll look into those as well then as I do plan to get a 60-80$ portable amp. You wouldn't happen to know anything about the Mad Dogs would you?

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #11 of 12
  AKG K545 + Fiio E07K

+1!!! AK k545 is a solid choice esp since you have find em $200 at razerdogaudio.

sennheiser momentum would be the next pick impo. the new nad visio hp50 as a lot of fans as well, but i haven't heard em. i personally wld skip the p7 as there are a lot of solid choices at $300 and when I demoed the p7 I didn't think they were worth an extra $100 (personal opinion of course. ymmv!
normal_smile .gif
)

mad dogs is kinda bulky & hefty as planar magnetic headphones... dunno how well it would work on the go. you should ask some mad dog owners

you can consider holding off on your amp/dac purchase until after you get your headphones to see if it sounds solid to you w/o any extra equipment. i personally found for most closed portable headphones, they don't benefit that much from an amp/dac, so you should definitely try it for yourself & see if you notice a sonic improvement that is worth it.

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back