Need help buying car speakers
May 12, 2005 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jmmmmm

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking to get some better speakers for my honda civic. I've had various car audio experience in the past, but I think I have much more discerning ears than I used to. So, can anyone tell me some good car speakers, or something that I should look into? My car has 4 6 1/2" speakers only, and I don't want a sub. I'd like good sound (obviously), but I'd prefer to keep it under $400 for the 4. I was in best buy yesterday and their top of the line polks sounded pretty good - much better than anything else they had, but I thought I might be able to do better than $200 a pair. So, any suggestions? The more specific the better.

May 12, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 8
i have polk db 675's in my car. they sound nice.
as another option, you may like the planet audio (model forgotten) simply because they have solid low cones, and the tweeters on little bridges.

you may want to go with them in the doors, and 2 lowwwww range deck mounts for the rear 2.

this avoids the sub, gets you better bass than jsut the polk 2-ways (assuming you dont get seperate tweeters..) umm, yea.

if you look about for prices it can be done for a fair bit under 400.

May 12, 2005 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 8
I will always swear by elementaldesigns audio stuff. I have three of their subs currently, and looking to purhcase some componenets.

Their eDi6500s are a nice componenet set (2 mids, 2 tweets, 2 crossovers) that are supposedly absolutely beautiful! link

One of the first things I learned in car audio is that unless you always have people riding with you, a good way to save money, etc is to ditch rear speakers. They don't add anything to the overall sound, and you'd be better off sinking your money into an amp to drive the speakers up front (and getting nice front speakers)

I currently run 2 polks in my rear doors (4runner) and I've never once heard them. Ever.
tongue.gif

May 12, 2005 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 8
In my experience, Boston Acoustic has the most natural mid-range.

May 12, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 8
I've always used image dynamics... in my IASCA system as well as my daily driver. I have compression drivers now and the image and vocal soundstage is incredible. But theyre not for everyonre. Teir components are equally as impressive.

Garrett

May 12, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 8
JL Audio are the most natural sounding car speakers I've heard. They have the added benefit of being inexpensive as well.

May 12, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 8
I agree with phoenix about ditching the rear speakers (well leave them in there, just dont buy good ones) and using the money to buy an amp for the front speakers. Even a cheap amp with appropriate wrms will make the speakers sound a TON better. Some good speakers or components are infinity, boston acoustics, crystal, or mb quarts if i got the names right.

Ivan C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back