Need help; buying a sound card in the US
Sep 17, 2011 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Staal

1000+ Head-Fier
So, I'm visiting NYC with my girlfriend in about a month or so, and I figured I'd get some shopping done, since everything is much cheaper in the US, than here in Denmark .

I'm looking for a sound card, as I'm currently using a ****ty onboard one. However, I have a few questions?

- Would buying a decent sound card mean, that I wouldn't necessarily need a dedicated DAC for my simple NAD C326BEE Amp + Dynaudio DM 2/7 speaker setup? 
- Would it be a noticeable difference listening to headphones merely plugged into the PC? (ATH-M50, MTPC in-ears)

Also, what kind of card should I go for? I've set a max of 400USD.

Lastly, I would prefer something that could be picked up at a NYC shop, as mail-ordering to a rented apartment might be a bit tricky.

Thanks in advance guys!

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 2
I'm heading downtown tomorrow to B & H to get a pair of earpads.

J & R and B & H are the only two major stores that I know of where you would pick up such a card in person.

If you have a PC desktop, the Asus Xonar Essence STX is under $200 and would likely blow away your onboard as I know of no superior card at the moment:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/645911-REG/ASUS_XONARESSENCESTX_Xonar_Essence_STX_PCI.html

A laptop is a different story as it will need an external DAC.

It says it is out of stock right now, but as you can see in the specs it has a very high quality DAC.

So, the answer is yes to both questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back