Need help buying a new headphone
Nov 1, 2011 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

smfoo2

New Head-Fier
Hey I just signed up in order to get suggestions to buy a new headphone. I need a headphone for my cowon j3. I don't plan to use an amp. Music I listen to are mostly bands like Tool, Porcupine tree, Blackfield, Breaking benjamin, linkin park, Haken, Muse, Kassabian, Coldplay, Blind Pilot, Kings of Leon, Radiohead and some hip hop, house, trance and techno. I don't listen to classical, jazz or blues much. I own sennheiser hd 238 and bose ae2 previously. Recently I sold the bose ae2. Bose wasn't really bad if eq'd properly but price was bit too much in term of quality.

Now I want a headphone that won't be too big in size. Comfort is a big issue since I use it everyday 4-5 hours at a stretch. I don't want a headphone that leaks a lot of sounds because I use it a lot in library. I want clean and nice bass with lot of clarity in the sound. What would you guys recommend based on my music taste. Budget is under $200.

And I apologize if I posted the same topic hundreds of other people post. I did my research but just could not find a headphone that is  comfy, not too big, and amazing sound quality.

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 10
In your price range, the HD-25 I II, the ones im currently using (look at my sig) they provide nice isolation, bass is punchy. 

For some people they can be uncomfortable at first, but you can stretch them a bit after using them..they become comfy. 

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 10
You could also look at the V-Moda M-80. THey are currently out of stock, but if you use the code Headfi, I think they cost $200, and they have received really good reviews from head-fi'ers. I was actually looking into buying them myself 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
In your price range, the HD-25 I II, the ones im currently using (look at my sig) they provide nice isolation, bass is punchy. 

For some people they can be uncomfortable at first, but you can stretch them a bit after using them..they become comfy. 

Can I get the best out of HD 25 1 II with cowon j3? Isn't impedance little high for this phone something around 70-80 ohm. Also how is hd 25 1 II compared to say beyerdynamic dt 770 pro. Just to get an idea about how they sound. Thank you

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Can I get the best out of HD 25 1 II with cowon j3? Isn't impedance little high for this phone something around 70-80 ohm. Also how is hd 25 1 II compared to say beyerdynamic dt 770 pro. Just to get an idea about how they sound. Thank you

The HD-25 I II are not hard to drive, i have used it with ipods and my cowon and it drives them well. If you want more omph you can buy a small portable amp for them..your choice. 

The beyers soundstage and bass is better...i feel like they are not as good as my sennhs for rock music. The HD-25 are more detailed imo.  

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 10
Beyer DT1350 - $299

Game over 
biggrin.gif

Cowon should drive it sufficiently but there will always be room for improvement with an amp if you change your mind.

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 10

Thanks but I need to cut down a meal per day for two weeks in order to afford the extra 100 dollar :p. My budget is 200 max. I think I might go with the M80.
Quote:
Beyer DT1350 - $299

Game over 
biggrin.gif

Cowon should drive it sufficiently but there will always be room for improvement with an amp if you change your mind.

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 10
Ahhh yes the endless audio aficionado dilemma...

Shall I eat today or save for a new headphone..

Hmm decisions, decisions!

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #10 of 10
So I finally decided to order the V-moda V 80 unfortunately M 80 was out of stock on V moda official website and V 80(gay true blood edition) was on sale at $199. So I guess I have to bear with the true blood logo on the headphone. Well 40 bucks less and no more waiting for the new headphone
ksc75smile.gif
makes it worth it. Can't wait for this to be a match for my cowon j3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back