Need help buying a microphone
Sep 18, 2009 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jawang

500+ Head-Fier
I'm a bit unsure what I need buy. I want a low entry-level microphone to record amateur songs with (acoustic guitar + vocals) with good enough quality for high quality youtube videos. Ideally, I'd like something that I could use to record 2-3 instruments + vocals simultaneously, that wouldn't require me to buy additional equipment (i.e. hopefully it'll work with an EMU0202)

To be more specific, what type of a microphone should I be looking for? And how much money should I be expecting to spend? Are there are well known budget microphones that are relatively cheap bang-for-buck purchases?

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 6
Shure SM57. Should be around $100 new.

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 6
I recently bought two mics, a Shure SM57 and an Audio Technica 3035. They were both $100, and I consider both to be of similar quality. Given that you have a phantom power source, such as an EMU 0404... the AT 3035 is considerably more sensitive, and gives you the leeway to turn the mic up and down. Otherwise, given that you don't have phantom power, the sm57 sounds great... it just lacks a bit of volume. I find that at most times I have it jacked up to max, or close to it on my EMU 0404.

Also, apparently the SM57 is indestructible. And given the fact that you're using an 0202, you'll probably be limited to dynamic mics such as the SM57/58.

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 6
Recording 2-3 instruments and vocals at the same time with one mic is never going to sound great. If I had to pic one mic to use it would be a condenser but a good one is expensive and relatively fragile. As other have recommended the shure sm58 or sm57 are probably what I would go with. They sound pretty good and they can take a hell of a beating and keep going.

I'm not sure what they go for used but if you can swing it to buy two mics (assuming you can record from two sources at the same time) I would encourage that. One for vocals and one for everything else.

Another option would be to buy a pickup for the acoustic guitar and then a mic, but that limits you a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back