Need help buying $120 DAC/AMP combo
Nov 2, 2015 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

EYEdROP

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, its been awhile since Ive been around here. I recently caught the Hi-Fi bug again and need to purchase a good budget dac/amp combo. Ideally, I would like to spend under $100 but am willing to go to $150 if its truly worth the price to performance. The only headphones I use are my Beyerdynamic DT-48E. They are cold and analytical sounding, so I would prefer something musical with excellent bass extension and impact, transparent midrange, and smooth easy going treble. At the same time, I dont want something purposefully colored. I would still like something transparent...  Unfortunately I dont have alot of money to spend. But Im sure it will still be a big upgrade from my current onboard motherboard amp. Is there any "giant killer" dac/amps combos out there? Maybe one of those Chinese ones from ebay? Please help me...

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 8
What is the make and model of your motherboard?

FiiO E10K or Schiit Fulla, both are USB DAC/amps and sell for under $100.
There is also the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card.

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #4 of 8
  Its an Asus Z97-A motherboard.  

If this audio setup is more for music, then get an external DAC/amp, if your really into FPS gaming, then get the SB-Z card.

Something I think makes a good combo, is a Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used off eBay) and a FiiO A3 (E11K) headphone amplifier ($60).
The benefit is the A3 can be used with more then just a computer (PC/MAC/desktop/laptop).

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 8
I do a little bit of gaming but its definitely not a priority. I think Ill go with an external DAC and amp.  

Why does a pci sound card outperform a USB DAC for gaming? Is it something to do with the 5.1 surround processing? Just curious...

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #6 of 8
  I do a little bit of gaming but its definitely not a priority. I think Ill go with an external DAC and amp.  

Why does a PCI sound card outperform a USB DAC for gaming? Is it something to do with the 5.1 surround processing? Just curious...

An external DAC/amp does not come with any headphone surround sound features.
Basically you can normally only feed an external DAC a 2-channel (stereo audio) signal.
Where as normally headphone surround sound requires 6 or 8 channel audio, from the source (games or movies), which a sound card (internal or external) can convert into 2-channel headphone surround sound, which is then sent to the headphones.

Some people are fine playing all their games in stereo audio.

Music audio has a feature called sound stage, which I guess works with only needing a 2-channel source.

So if you get an external DAC/amp, just remember to set the source (games or movies) to 2-channel stereo audio.

For music, try Foobar2000 (w/WASAPI) player
https://www.foobar2000.org/

For any video (besides Blu-ray) try K-Lite (w/ Media Player Classic)
http://www.codecguide.com/

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 8
I noticed this new Zero 24/196khz DAC on eBay for $160. How would the performance compare to the cheaper Fiio E10K? Would it be a giant leap, if at all? Also, im not opposed to something used. Could you help me look around for some possible good deals? Right now im leaning towards the E10k... 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-NEW-EDITION-ZERO-24-192KHZ-DAC-HEAD-AMP-OPA2604-NEW-/120644872210?hash=item1c16fea812:m:mOf3anaDwQGlUmz0hcQC2LA

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 8
Just pulled the trigger on a JDS O2+ODAC Rev. A with Triad power supply for $160. I spent a little bit more than I expected to, but $160 for this setup seemed like a great deal and good bang for buck. Anyways, thanks for your help PurpleAngel! Ill be doing a review soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back