Need help building a rig for the upcoming Sennheiser HDVD 800 amp
Jan 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

FinnishSpartan

New Head-Fier
Hi,

This will be a long post, if you find it too long to read, you can skip to the bottom for my setup configurations, please select one and explain why it would work the best. If you have additional suggestions, please be free to tell them as well.

I rarely post on these forums since I can find mostly anything I need to look for by reading the hundreds of already existing threads. However I would need expertise on more specific questions relating to my troubles.

I'm planning on purchasing the Sennheiser HDVD 800 (or the HDVA 600) soundcard for my HD800 headphones.
My current setup is as follows:
Asus Xonar Essence STX -> RCA output (w. Supra Cables) -> Lehmann Rhinelander amp -> HD800's

Now my problem is that I would like to know what is the best solution to get the most out of my forthcoming purchase of the HDVD 800 or the HDVA 600 (would need your suggestions on picking one of them depending on my output).

My original plan was to use the HDVA 600 with RCA inputs (similiar to my current setup), however I learned that the HDVD 800 would offer an intergrated DAC with USB or Optical/digital inputs. I've noticed that the Xonar Essnce STX gives a considerable boost in sound quality compared to plugging my headphone amp directly into my motherboards outputs. I've also learned that the Xonar Essence STX works similiarly to an external DAC. I've never tested any external DAC's in my setup though.

The digital output port on my soundcard is reserved for my 4.1 speaker setup (since it's the only way to provide true surround sound from this card). This leaves me the option of using the RCA plugs, using a 6.3mm to RCA adapter to connect to the headphone amp (for 3D gaming sounds), or getting a digital coaxial splitter cable.

---

My main question hereby is, would it make a great difference if I plugged my headphones into the HDVD 800 using a coaxial cable (and using the HDVD 800's build in DAC) to signal the sound to my HD800's (I'm planning on getting a balanced cable for the headphones) compared to using the RCA output (either trough the 2xRCA slots or the 6.3mm to 2xRCA converter) from the Xonar Essence STX with the HDVA 600's.

How about direct USB input on the HDVD 800's? This would mean that the Xonar Essnce STX would be completely out of the picture. Would it be better to plug the HDVD 800 through the soundcard rather then using the USB cable?

---

Here are the setups that I have in mind:

1. Asus Xonar Essence STX -> RCA output -> HDVA 600.
2. Asus Xonar Essence STX -> 6.3mm to RCA adapter -> HDVA 600.
3. Asus Xonar Essence STX -> Digital (Coaxial) output (with splitter) -> HDVD 800 (w. onboard DAC).
4. Motherboard USB socket -> HDVD 800 (w. onboard DAC).
5. Suggest your own setup.

All the setups would be connected to Sennheiser HD800's via the balanced outputs. Other headphones that I own would be connected via the 6.3mm output jack.

Thank you very much for reading through this post, and thank you even more for any suggestions on how I could achieve the most perfect sound. The new amp will pretty much suck up all my savings and thus I don't really have extra money to spend on testing different setups.

Also a bit late, but happy new year! =)
- Finnish Spartan

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 5
Yes, I know this thread is old...
But better a late answer than no answer.

I would advise not getting the HDVD800 because of all the problems that exist with the DAC.
The HDVD600 is a fine option, just get another external DAC.
Or get something else entirely because both of them are overpriced if you ask me.

Also, don't purchase the balanced HD 800 cable if you haven't purchased it yet, there are plenty of reasons for it.

Some good units that come up quickly with a nice price-performance ratio:
Mytek Stereo 192 DSD-DAC
SPL Auditor
Violectric V200

Not a lot and I haven't researched that many amps and DACs to be honest, I'm not a madman expert that owns 50 amps and stuff.

Jul 21, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 5
Hey Finnish Spartan,

I have a HDVD800 and HD800, but I'm returning the set (it's a demo model and been testing it for two weeks, and decided not to keep this specific set).

I have however heard the potential of the HDVD 800 (amp) with HD800 and I was blown away. I heard it in the store, using a 800E costing cd player with a good dac (so not using the build in dac).

I'm personally thinking of buying HD 800 with HDVD 600/800 depending on best buy (relative) between the two. For now the difference in price for me is 50E, than I rather pay 50E extra for an build in dac that isn't great. That will give me the potential of upgrading in the future.
If I buy a HDVD800 I will use the build in dac until I have a good deal for a dac (wich is significantly better than build in). And depending on the differences a balanced cable makes I can go for years without a better dac (I heard from some people that it makes important differences (but not very big differences), other people believe it makes no difference at all). I haven't been able to try this out myself, but it's a completely balanced system so I can imagine it should make some differences. Sennheiser also says that it makes differences that you can (actually :) ) hear.

The sound isn't bad with the build in dac, it just doesn't come close to the full potential (wich is mindblowing). So your basicly paying alot for a good amp (HDVD800) but when you use the build in dac (wich is the bottleneck) your not really hearing what your paying for. I haven't heard any high end amps to compare, but what I heard in the store (HD/HDVD800 using other dac) was unbelievable. I litterally didn't know that what I heard was possible to reproduce by headphones. That's the reason I bought them (good external dac), and also the reason I'm returning them :) (build in dac).

If money and time is no problem I would suggest getting the HDVD 600 with a very good dac that doesn't sound to neutral/clinical/mechanical, because that wouldn't do justice to all the work Sennheiser put into creating a synergie between the amp and headphones (I can listen to all kinds of music without it sounding bad, wich the HD800 isn't known for).
If money is no problem than get balanced cable (than you can test any differences for all of us :) ).

I have been gaming with the set btw. And it works really good, you can actually hear sound effects I never heard before (or at least I never noticed them before). But I can't compare to a good headset with surround sound (I do have Senn PC350, wich is stereo gaming).

I'm now also looking for a potential good dac that isn't to expensive.

Good luck with finding the best solution for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back