Need help building a PC...?
Aug 17, 2014 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Lazyboy420x

100+ Head-Fier
Just some questions.
How much am I looking to spend if I wanna run games on atleast High Settings,1080p and 60fps with atleast 4XMSAA.

A list of parts I need. Like a CPU,GPU..etc

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 10
Just some questions.
How much am I looking to spend if I wanna run games on at least High Settings,1080p and 60fps with at least 4XMSAA.

A list of parts I need. Like a CPU,GPU..etc

What monitor do you own?
Do you already own some parts?

I'm sure you will get some good advice on hardware for a gaming PC, from fellow Head-Fiers.
But you might want to consider posting these kind of questions on websites more dedicated to PC hardware (motherboards, CPUs, Graphics cards, etc).
Maybe overclock.net

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 10
Lazyboy, you need to state a budget for your build, i guess you want advice for the main components. 

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 10
Go to Tom's Hardware Guide and check out their system builder competitions.  They do one a few times a year and they build gaming PC's at multiple price points.  You can read through those and then decide what you're looking for and what you're looking to spend.  

They also benchmark all the video cards, and choose the best video card in each price bracket once a month so you can get an idea of how much you need to spend to get the performance you want.

If you're building something from scratch and have no monitor or KB/Mouse or any of that, you're going to be spending at least $1000 for a full setup.

Aug 19, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #5 of 10
I'm personally a fan of Tech Report's System Guides.

You're probably looking at something in the range of the Sweet spot sample build, which includes an i5-4690K CPU, 8GB RAM, and GTX 760 GPU. The GPU is going to be the most important component as far as gaming is concerned, and you can check out AMD alternatives like the R9 280. You could probably swing down to an i5-4460 if you wanted to save on the CPU, and 8GB is a good chunk of RAM. Anything else can be tweaked to your specific needs (+/- Blu-Ray, sound card, storage, different case, etc.).

Get an SSD, though...the things are getting pretty cheap, and you'll like the speed boost.

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #6 of 10
Are you starting from scratch or do you have anything you may be able to work with and upgrade on?

Starting from scratch your probably looking at $850-1000 if you budget. If your patient you can find deals on Newegg & Ebay and start piecing it together. I built a computer for my brother for Christmas last year, took around 6 or so months in advance to find the best deals on what I was looking for but ended up keeping within my $900 budget and he can still play most games at high settings.

Don't be afraid to go with an older gpu, if you read the graphs and tests they put out on all the new ones improvements are usually quite minor for the most part. Have seen gtx 590's go for as low as $199 on ebay, (sure they are used but your covered if it don't work so there is really no risk.) It's roughly comparable to the gtx 780, biggest difference is power usage, 365w vs 170w. The 760 does have a slight edge in texture filtering but speed, memory and anti-aliasing go to the 590.

All in personal preferences.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 10
I think I decided against it. I was looking at a $400 build. But after the math it would have costed a lot more. Because I'd have to buy an OS,a good keyboard and mouse. And the parts themselves would have actually gone over $400. About $450 if you consider shipping. Windows 7 is about $100. That's $550. Nice keyboard and mouse would be about $100. That's $650.. I just can't afford all of the other necessities.

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 10
For that tight a budget, watch the Lenovo Outlet for specials on Core i5 machines. For example, check out this one: http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/itemdetails/10B0X001US/445

They can often be a good way to start a budget build since they come with Windows.

Then research that you can change out the power supply because the PSU maybe too weak for gaming video cards.

Aug 30, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 10
I think I decided against it. I was looking at a $400 build. But after the math it would have costed a lot more. Because I'd have to buy an OS,a good keyboard and mouse. And the parts themselves would have actually gone over $400. About $450 if you consider shipping. Windows 7 is about $100. That's $550. Nice keyboard and mouse would be about $100. That's $650.. I just can't afford all of the other necessities.

You can forget about the good mouse and keyboard for now, and spend on the most important components. 

If in the US tigerdirect has AMD barebone kits that fit the bill. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 10
If you scour ebay enough, you can find i5-2500ks and p67 motherboards for under 200$ combined, then nab a gtx 760, or r9-280x. You'd be surprised at how many refurbished motherboards on ebay run just as good as new ones for a fraction of the cost (motherboards that were well over $100 are around 40). Most of the sellers also provide their own warranties on top of it, so you don't have t worry about it crapping out on you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back