Need help between 3 headphones
May 2, 2015 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jo3y64

New Head-Fier
I need help deciding between the akg k701, sennheiser hd 650, and beyerdynamic dt880 premium 600ohm. I have an amp and a sac already and will be using these for PC gaming and primarily rock music.

May 2, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 9
I need help deciding between the akg k701, sennheiser hd 650, and beyerdynamic dt880 premium 600ohm. I have an amp and a sac already and will be using these for PC gaming and primarily rock music.

I'm really enjoying my AKG K7XX headphones and they are cheaper then the ones on your list.

May 2, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 9
I definitely wouldn't choose the Audioengine D1 to power the AKGs. Not sure if the Bravo Audio Ocean is up to the task, or how well either of those amps would work with 600 ohm headphones. Best to do some research on that. :)

May 2, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 9
@PurpleAngel thanks for the recommendation I'll be sure to check it out. Also what Amp or dac are using with it if you are using one?

Audio-GD NFB-15.32, newest revision is the NFB-15.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

May 2, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #9 of 9
I owned that DT 880. It was very "capable" but sounded utterly boring to me. Too gentle and polite for my tastes. (And this doesn't have a whole lot to do with the frequency response itself, in my opinion, because my favorite headphone -- the Focal Spirit Professional -- is also very neutral. I think it has more to do with the driver design.) Very good build quality and comfort, but the ear pads were so large that they just engulfed the side of my face. lol

I will receive an HD 650 on Monday.

And I haven't heard the K701.

I don't want to recommend things based purely on others' impressions online, but I do know that the HD 650 is one of the most well regarded headphones and that the newer version with the silver drivers apparently isn't as dark-sounding as the original version.

The Philips Fidelio X2 and HD 600 are other worthy contenders in the $200-400 price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back