Need Help - Beginner Portable Headphone for Boyfriend - Does not like IEM for comfort reasons
Dec 16, 2010 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kirstenaline

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I can't tell you how helpful this forum is. Overwhelming a bit? Sure . But helpful, yes!

I am in the process of finding a good portable headphone for my boyfriend. He is a huge audio lover and is in the very beginning stages of creating a great home audio environment to create music. That being said, he is in desperate need for a good headphone. The things he wants?

Portability - he will take these things everywhere. A great case that isn't too big, easily able to go in his bag, to use on public transportation during his commute etc.

Look - we both love the look of the Monsters but after reading all about how overpriced they are, I could not swallow purchasing them if there are way better options out there that sound even better. Are there any good brands you'd recommend that not only sound better than Monster, but look great too?

Features - he does not have an amp, and sure he may have one in the future - but does not now. So the headphone needs to sound great without an amp.

No IEM - he happens to find any IEMs very uncomfortable. So it's just a matter of taste, but he wants something that does not stick in his ear.

Price Point - Under $250.

I'd love to hear all your wonderful suggestions in helping buy him a great gift this Christmas. I SO appreciate it in advance!

Also - please let me know if I am posting in the wrong category :) I'm probably worse than a newbie here!!

Thanks,

Kirsten

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 5
Well, I'm not sure the answer is exactly what you're looking for, but the Grado SR60 and SR80 have a reputation for achieving pretty much the best sound quality / price you can find.  Both are under $100 and both can easily be driven by an ipod or PMP without an amp (though a good amp will obviously make them sound even better).

Now the caveats:

These are more or less "small" full size headphones.
They are not really suitable for working out (running might be possible, but really you're not going to want to sweat into them).
They leak sound, so you'll hear everything around you and people close to you will hear what you're listening to.
They're Grados, which drive a love / hate relationship with many people due to the style of the sound and extremely retro design.

They do fold flat though, so they are easily thrown in a bag and you won't haven't to worry about breaking them.  And, if you're looking for a set of head phones that you can wear walking around, use at work (provided it's not too loud there and no one sits right next to you), you'll find them hard to beat.  And the price is EXCELLENT, so even if you do break or lose them, it's not the end of the world.  There are lots of reviews on these headphones online, and the SR60 has won awards from pretty much every major audio magazine for YEARS - probably decades now - for the quality of its sound given their price.

Personally I love them as do many posters here. 

Good luck!

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 5
Check out the Audio Technica ESW9A. The sound is very warm and fits well with most music. They also have wooden cups and a nice leather headband so they look great. From what I gather, they sound fine without an amp, though I only heard them with one at my friends place.

Currently ~230$ on amazon. 

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 5
for $250 you can do extremely well

I second the ATH Esw9, but you can also look at the Phiaton MS400s which are in all black now, as well as the Sennheiser HD25-II
you cant go wrong with any of them, also note the ms400 comes in all black now and its my personal favorite of the three top contenders for the best portables under $250

Users who are viewing this thread

Back