Need help at choosing headphones.
Aug 31, 2012 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Semiregular

New Head-Fier
Now as you can tell, i'm new here at Head-fi (and to the HiFi world all together) and would greatly appreciate the help that anyone could give me 
tongue.gif

I need to buy new headphones (to replace my CX 150 IEMs) as they aren't cutting it for me anymore.
The type of music i listen to is mainly electronic/DnB/Dubstep and some pop and classical, and i'm going to use them mainly with my 2g touch while on the go.
(also i want a comfortable pair)

So these are the 5 contenders that i have:

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II (70 ohm)

V-moda Crossfade M-80 (28.5 ohm)

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (LE 32 ohm)

Ultrasone HFI-680 (75 ohm)

Ultrasone HFI-580 (32 ohm)
And thanks 
wink.gif

All the cans cost will me 190€ except for the HFI-580s which are at 137€

Edit: HFI 580/680s added, also ohm ratings added.

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 6
Something i realized after digging a little deeper on this is that:

The Sennheiser HD 25-1 IIs are 70 ohms.

The V-moda Crossfade M-80s are 28.5 ohms.

and

The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (LE 32 ohm) <--- obviously are 32 ohms.

As far as i know, the lower the better for portable headphones.
Now when looked from this angle it seems like i should go for the Crossfades but i'm not sure how they compare in other areas.

if someone has or have had any of these phones i'd love to hear your thoughts.

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 6
Be sure to check out the Ultrasone HFI series. The HFI-580 are some great bass heavy cans that work well with EDM. And while I'm a subwoofer enthusiast, the bass was a little hot for me (lol). I ended up keeping them after purchasing them as a gift for my son, but then got the HFI 780s for myself which have more midrange presence. And yet, the 780s have good sounding bass--just not as heavy proportionately--a little more balanced sound.  

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Be sure to check out the Ultrasone HFI series. The HFI-580 are some great bass heavy cans that work well with EDM. And while I'm a subwoofer enthusiast, the bass was a little hot for me (lol). I ended up keeping them after purchasing them as a gift for my son, but then got the HFI 780s for myself which have more midrange presence. And yet, the 780s have good sounding bass--just not as heavy proportionately--a little more balanced sound.  

Looks like the HFI-680 would be perfect for my budget, have you got any info about those and/or how they compare with the other phones mentioned?

Sep 1, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm not sure since I'm an Ultrasone newbie, too 
smile.gif
 I think the 680 is supposed to have a flatter frequency response, but I might be wrong. However, at 75 ohms, might be a little more difficult for an mp3 player to drive (best to check on that). 

As far as price, also look for DJ1 (but not DJ Pro). They are 580s with a different cup cover style and cord. Although the 580s look pretty reasonably priced on Amazon UK. 

Take a look at the Ultrasone Fan Club thread. Good place to ask questions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back