Need Help Asap with Beyerdynamic Dt 990 600 ohm and Schiit Lyr 2/ Schiit Bifrost!!!!!!!!!! Please Help!!!!
Jun 9, 2015 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

stonecoldflacko

New Head-Fier
So I recently bought a Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost, & Beyerdynamic Dt 990 Premium 600 ohms with the intent that I would be experiencing heavy bass & clarity in sound. The clarity part has happened since mids, highs are extremely clear and crisp, the treble is a bit high too my liking but the part that I am most pissed about is the fact that the bass (lows) are just not strong enough for my liking!! I listen to a lot of Deadmau5 and have heard how excellent his music sounds when there is a great amount of bass but this combination just isn't achieving what I thought it would. I'm starting to think I may have made a wrong purchase here somewhere whether it be the amp, dac, or headphones, although every review I read before hand said that the beyer dt990 600 ohms would provide heavy ass bass while the schiit lyr 2/ schiit bifrost would provide sufficient enough power to back it up. Is there an easy fix here somewhere???? I am content with everything my combination offers except for the fact that the treble is pretty harsh and I want more heavy low bass since it seems the only bass I hear is strong mid bass but no deep low bass ':frowning2: Is the problem my tubes?? Would a Preamp of some sort help with this combination????  Some say to get different tubes but I would not know where to start with that... I need tubes that are clear, not too harsh on treble highs, and of course provides me with strong low deep bass. Price is not a concern for me here as I want to achieve an enjoyable experience with my combination by buying whatever I need to, to provide me with stronger low bass!! Any suggestions or comments are extremely appreciated and you may ask me any questions that you think could help better assist me in what to fix. I just want bass is all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ':frowning2:(((( 

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 22
What sources are you using and how are they connected to the Bifrost?

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 22
I'm starting to think I may have made a wrong purchase here somewhere whether it be the amp, dac, or headphones, although every review I read before hand said that the beyer dt990 600 ohms would provide heavy ass bass while the schiit lyr 2/ schiit bifrost would provide sufficient enough power to back it up. Is there an easy fix here somewhere????

Different people have different expectations for "heavy ass bass." Compared to a neutral setup, the DT990 has heavy bass. Compared to a heavy bass basshead headphone, no.

I am content with everything my combination offers except for the fact that the treble is pretty harsh and I want more heavy low bass since it seems the only bass I hear is strong mid bass but no deep low bass ':frowning2: Is the problem my tubes?? Would a Preamp of some sort help with this combination????  

The DT990 has a v-shaped response. So yes. It has a treble peak that can make the treble sound harsh to some people. And yes. The frequency response in the bass peaks in between 100hz to 200hz, and then rolls off slowly from there. So the subbass output is not quite as much as the midbass:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2241&scale=30

This all being said, you should probably let your tubes burn in a bit first before making a decision, and be sure to let them warm up a bit before judging the sound.

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 22
  So I recently bought a Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost, & Beyerdynamic Dt 990 Premium 600 ohms with the intent that I would be experiencing heavy bass & clarity in sound. The clarity part has happened since mids, highs are extremely clear and crisp, the treble is a bit high too my liking but the part that I am most pissed about is the fact that the bass (lows) are just not strong enough for my liking!! I listen to a lot of Deadmau5 and have heard how excellent his music sounds when there is a great amount of bass but this combination just isn't achieving what I thought it would. I'm starting to think I may have made a wrong purchase here somewhere whether it be the amp, dac, or headphones, although every review I read before hand said that the Beyer dt990 600 ohms would provide heavy ass bass.

The DT990 250-Ohm has a louder (maybe bloated?), but less controlled bass, compared to the DT990 600-Ohm bass, which is better controlled, but not as loud.
Personally I prefer the more controlled bass.

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 22
Personally, I find that the DT990's bass output, in terms of quantity, is be greatly exaggerated. FWIW, I found the 600 Ohm version to sound a bit more lean than my 250 Ohm DT990. Still, if we're talking about bass, my bass modded K702 absolutely slaughter the DT990s. Actually, the bass is larger in scale than any other can I own.

Jun 10, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 22
Thank you all so much for your responses It is extremely appreciated!!! PurpelAngel by 'sources' what exactly do you mean? I have connected the Lyr 2 and Bifrost via just a regular RCA cable. I have been using the standard tubes that come with the Lyr 2 for about a month now so I am not sure if maybe that is too short or too long for the burn in process. Would getting new tubes really change the sound signature up? & I always burn them in before I start to listen to music. So could the problem just be my 990's which is lacking in the strong low end bass that I'm looking for?? As I asked before would getting a preamp solve anything? Is there anything on the market that can let me control the balances of the bass and treble from my amp? The only thing I have found successful in doing anything like that is using the Windows Media Player equalizer but I want something that changes it forever. Are my lyr 2 & Bifrost bottle necking anything by any chance???. If the K702 really does sound amazing in terms of heavy low bass then that is definitely something worth considering. Hell if you guys know any other really superb headphones that give out a crisp sound stage with a lot of emphasis on bass then please let me know. I thought for a fact the beyer would be a really strong one but I guess it wasn't the bass I was looking for. Like I said I mainly listen to Deadmau5 so anything that would sound amazing with his type of music is something I will consider only if there is no other way to solve this problem then by getting rid of my Beyer's. Thanks again for the time you folks have put into helping my noobself out i REALLY APPRECIATE THE ADVICE!!!! 

Jun 10, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 22
I'm a bass addict and Ultrasone Pro 2900 may be what you're looking for if you really want the soundstage of open headphones. The have a good amount of bass.

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #9 of 22
As I asked before would getting a preamp solve anything? Is there anything on the market that can let me control the balances of the bass and treble from my amp?

EQ on your computer is the best way to do this. You could use Foobar media player, and you can install an equalizer with more bands than Windows Media player, giving you even more control over bass output.

Can you tell us how much bass you are adding to get the DT990s to sound how you would like them to? What frequencies are you boosting and how much with your media player EQ? And then are you decreasing any of the treble to compensate for the harshness you hear (how much and which frequencies)? That would tell us a good bit about what headphones might be suitable for your needs.

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 22
If you happen to check this thread before it runs out, Amazon has the Phillips X1 headphone on a lightning deal for $139: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3QD94O. Definitely a bassier headphone than the DT990. Could be worth ordering it to see if you like it. The $10 to $12 in return shipping if you don't would be a worthwhile demo fee, IMO.

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #11 of 22
To be clear, the low-end performance I described can only be had after performing the bass mod.

Link to the bass mod please

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #13 of 22
Here is a screenshot of what sounded good for me on Foobar's EQ for a deadmau5 song. I am an audio noob so I'm sure there are probably some major in the way I set it up. But moving the 55hz up really started to give me what I've been looking for in these headphones for the longest time. The problem is there won't be an EQ for when I'm gaming. Basically if there is a Headphone out there that has a wide soundstage, not too hard of treble, and hard heavy bass then that is what I am looking for. Thanks in advance you guys are awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back