Need help/advice on new pair of headphones
Feb 16, 2019 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Dloines

Head-Fier
I currently own Hd600 and LCD-x and looking to add another pair of HP. I liked the HD800S and made two separate purchases of that HP, the first I returned after a few days the brightness left my ears ringing (my ears are really sensitive to high treble sound), Except for that, I really liked everything else about them, so much that I purchased another pair a month later and decided to give them a 3 week try hoping maybe the brightness (to me) would subside a bit, I did get sort-of use to them for really short listening sessions (30 minutes or less) but I like to listen for hours at a time, and that made my ears ring so ended up returning them. As much as I like the LCD-X I want a different sound so don't want to scale up to the more expensive Audezee's. So I just ordered the HD820 all though I read mixed reviews, but if they are 80% of the HD800S then I think I will like them.

I don't use EQ, my equipment is based off my home stereo equipment which is all Bryston, so I use BCD1 CD player, BDA2 DAC, and BHA1 amp (all bryston like I stated) and sometimes I will use Spotify. My budget is set at $2500, and don't want to spend more since I have a lot of money invested in my home audio system.

Any recommendations or advice is appreciated....

Feb 16, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 5
I think you should check out the link towards the top of the home page >
"☞ ALL QUESTIONS eg: "Help!", "Recommendations", "Looking for..." go in the Help & Recommendations Forum (click)"

Prolly will do better there.

:sunglasses:

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 5
The only way to find the sound your after is to try with an open mind as many different HPs as you can. You might be surprised that you are after sonics that you didn’t think you would like based on what you read in these forums. I have found after my journey that I tend to like a full bodied HP. I started with the AKG 701K which is the polar opposite of what I ended up with.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 5
thanks, keep em coming please, the only frustrating part is the high-end audio store in my area only carries Audeze and Mr. Speaker, so hard to try a lot of different brands.

Feb 16, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 5
Once you get your Sennheiser HD820, if you are not impressed by it then maybe you would like the Astell & Kern T5P. They go for around 1200-1500 U.S.D. AKT5P has a neutral/bright sound signature but with equal bass. Very accurate imaging, accurate bass, not bloated like TH-X00 Purpleheart but can go as low, extremely detailed high's. Also has impressive soundstage for a closed-back headphone. My Sony MDR 7510 actually reminds me allot of the AKT5P I used to have. The only reason I sold my AKT5P was because it was only 32 Ohms and designed for portable use, any time I wanted to use it with my Cyrus system I had at the time (this was a couple of years ago), I had to use a special adapter as the AKT5P's cable is terminated with a 2.5mm balanced connection as it's designed to be used with their portable players. But it was still a very, very good headphone.
That would be the headphone I would recommend, if you don't like the HD820. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back