Need help about portable amplifiers, DACs: I'm about to buy my first serious headphones.
Jun 21, 2014 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Rox15

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I listen music everyday for about 2 hours. I listen to pretty much every genres (pop, rock, alternative rock, funk, jazz, classic) except for electronic music and hip hop. I love bands like Incubus, Foo Fighters, Jamiroquai, but the list is endless. I listen to music to what I think is a normal volume (60-70% iPod max volume).

The help I ask you is about my "portable" configuration. I listen music with an old iPod mini with the Apple EarPods (LOL, I know), and I want to buy a good pair of Headphones like the Sennheiser HD 558 or HD 598.

I searched a lot in many forums, and the few things I think I understand are:

a) iPod (mini) DAC is really poor;
b) I need an amplifier.

Now, the questions I have are:

1. If I buy headphones like the Sennheiser HD 558, can I use them just plugging them in my iPod?
2. If not, would an amplifier or an amplifier with DAC like a FIIO E17 in between be a solution or the problem is really the iPod?
3. If the iPod is the problem, what other portable source do you suggest me to buy?

Thank you very much for your patience.

Jun 21, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 3
  I listen music everyday for about 2 hours. I listen to pretty much every genres (pop, rock, alternative rock, funk, jazz, classic) except for electronic music and hip hop. I love bands like Incubus, Foo Fighters, Jamiroquai, but the list is endless. I listen to music to what I think is a normal volume (60-70% iPod max volume).
The help I ask you is about my "portable" configuration. I listen music with an old iPod mini with the Apple EarPods (LOL, I know), and I want to buy a good pair of Headphones like the Sennheiser HD 558 or HD 598.
I searched a lot in many forums, and the few things I think I understand are:
a) iPod (mini) DAC is really poor;
b) I need an amplifier.
Now, the questions I have are:
1. If I buy headphones like the Sennheiser HD 558, can I use them just plugging them in my iPod?
2. If not, would an amplifier or an amplifier with DAC like a FIIO E17 in between be a solution or the problem is really the iPod?
3. If the iPod is the problem, what other portable source do you suggest me to buy?

Chances are you will not find a external DAC that works with the iPod, for what most people would consider a reasonable price.
You would be better off getting something like the FiiO X3 ($200) or iBasso DX50 ($230) digital audio player.

If you use mp3 and not ALAC files.
There is a cheaper option, Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip 4GB, $40, with the free Rockbox firmware.
May not match the X3/DX50 for sound quality, but nice audio quality for the price.
You can use micro SDHC cards with the Clip Zip.

Personally I like using my Sony E474, small, nice screen, goes a long time on a single charge.
Check out the JVC HA-S680 folding headphones, $70.

Jun 21, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 3
Theres nothing wrong with the ipods dac , but its headphone proberley won't be able to drive full sized headphones properly you want a line out cable and the e17 or e11  or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back