Need headphones in $100-300 range
Nov 9, 2011 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

toyopl

Head-Fier
Looking for some decent headphones for mostly gaming on my laptop.
I'm looking for something with good bass, not too bright and size doesn't matter, as long os they cover my ears nicely with a good cushion.
I'm guessing I would need some kind of portable amp to drive these ?

I need to step up from gaming headphones as the sound from my Steelseries 5h v2 is really lacking.

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 13
Sennheiser HD598 is the best option. it's known to be comfortable, great for gaming and music, it's not bright,  and it doesn't need an amp.
you should know it's open headphones so it won't isolate your ears from outside noises.

Nov 9, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 13
Where you looking for open or closed headphones?

CALs (Creative Aurvana Live) closed headphone
The cups are small and barely go around my ears.
Nice sound and price

Panasonic RT-HTF600-S (semi-open), with EDT 200 Velour ear pads

Sennheiser HD-558, great sounding headphones.

Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card, built in headphone amplifier.

Nov 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 13
I'm looking for closed headphones, I'm guessing the less outside noise the better.

I got recommendation for Beyerdynamic DT 770-Pro at a different forum, is differnce between 770 which cost $150 and 990's which cost twice as much that big ? I'm not an audiophille and I will mostly listen to games.
I see Beyer being mentioned a lot, so I thought I`d look into them.

Nov 9, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
I'm looking for closed headphones, I'm guessing the less outside noise the better.

I got recommendation for Beyerdynamic DT 770-Pro at a different forum, is differnce between 770 which cost $150 and 990's which cost twice as much that big ? I'm not an audiophille and I will mostly listen to games.

DT770's are closed. DT990's are open. That makes it simple since you only want closed.

Very best,

Nov 9, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 13
hello toyopl,

The first thing you want to determine is a suitable budget. For your entire set-up that is. If you want to utilize it with the laptop then a majority of headphones won't be driven neutrally or efficiently with your on-board sound card/ generic upgrade. It is best to consider a DAC or a preamp combo and scale upwards with a transparent set of cans. But then again if you just want an easy-to-drive closed gaming headphones then you don't have to worry about this. Until upgraditis sets in. Both Beyerdynamic and Ultrasone models are worthy to consider.

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:

Beyer "Pros", usually have tighter fit on the ears.
Beyer "Premium", less tight around ears and usually cost more then "Pros"
Closed headphones are easier (cheaper) to make bassy.
Open headphones usually have better all around sound.
I would assume it's a more expensive to manufacture open headphones with quality bass.

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Beyer "Pros", usually have tighter fit on the ears.
Beyer "Premium", less tight around ears and usually cost more then "Pros"
Closed headphones are easier (cheaper) to make bassy.
Open headphones usually have better all around sound.
I would assume it's a more expensive to manufacture open headphones with quality bass.

Don't forget that that Pros are tougher than the Premium + replacement pads on the Premium is X times more than those on the Pros. The Premium, I believe, overthrows the Pros in terms of comfort.

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
So If I were to stick to Beyer product and pick a product for under $300 for headset and amp,which one would you recommend ?

I of course would say get the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm, which is my favorite for movies and music.
But I've never gamed with them (have not gamed much in 7 years, but did play C&C Generals on-line for around four thousand gaming sections, had no job back then).
I have seen some positive reviews on the DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm (lots of great bass, which I also own) for gaming.
I would guess the DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm (more balanced sound) would be better then the 80-ohm (bass heavy) at gaming.

But on second thought, your ears will take less of a pounding with open headphones.
Sennheiser HD-558 (50-Ohm), with the rubber black tape removal modification, should work nice.
I low cost ($20-$30) sound card like the Asus Xonar DG (PCI) could easily power 50-Ohm headphones.
The Xonar DG also comes with Dolby Headphone 5.1

Creative Labs is coming out soon with 2 new sound cards, so maybe hold off until Black Friday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back