Need headphones for...my parents
Jul 26, 2005 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Asr

Headphoneus Supremus
So my parents recently decided that they would like some headphones to have on their international flights (they travel quite a bit) and whenever they feel like listening to music. Now my father got ahold of a free Bose QuietComfort 2 some time ago and is convinced that's all he needs and that "it's BOSE! How could it be bad?"
600smile.gif

So I thought I would throw this to the Head-Fi crowd. What do you think would be the headphone that not only convinces my father that Bose is crap, but is also aesthetically pleasing enough my mother would wear it too? Closed, under $100, and unamped. Something guaranteed to impress the parents but affordable.
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 15
HD280 are good closed headphones. But you look like an idiot in them.

Jul 26, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 15
Price notwithstanding, the QC2's are actually probably a decent choice for airline flights. I can't see parents taking to IEMs out of nowhere (or without a vested interest in sonic quality). The MDR-7506/MDR-V6 seem to be a safe bet.

Jul 26, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrXpress
Price notwithstanding, the QC2's are actually probably a decent choice for airline flights. I can't see parents taking to IEMs out of nowhere (or without a vested interest in sonic quality). The MDR-7506/MDR-V6 seem to be a safe bet.

What would be a better full-size noise-canceling phone than the QC2?

Jul 27, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 15
Those Sennheiser ones are open.

The MDR-V6 looks like it could fit the bill, any others like it? There's gotta be more than one headphone in this class.

Jul 27, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 15
I understand what you're going through because I just had to do the same thing myself.

The Sony MDR-V6 or 7506 are good-looking phones with a nice sound, and they folds up into a vinyl pouch. They do leak, however.

The Grado SR 60 leaks major league, and don't fold up, but look and sound good.

An IEM like the Ety 6i offers portability, good sound, and no leakage. But how do your parents feel about having things stuck in their ears?

Jul 27, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 15
parents are notoriously impossible.... if your dad's convinced the bose's are the bees' knees, nothing's likely to change his mind if that's what he wants.... i've tried for years to initiate my parents (whole family actually) and failed. then again, it is *my* family and not yours so good luck!

for what it's worth, i second the mdr-7506 within your criteria.... additionally, they're quite comfortable which will add to their enjoyment.

again, good luck.

Jul 27, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 15
Thanks, looks like it'll be the V6 then (seems to be cheaper).

Also a curiosity question, how do the V6 and K271 rank against each other? Asking because I'll be getting a K271 for myself sometime soon, and I wouldn't want a headphone that can't compete with one I got for my parents.
600smile.gif

Jul 27, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 15
I would advise against the V6. It's big and obtrusive, has a long heavy cord, it clamps pretty hard (won't touch the QC2's in comfort), the sound is only so so imho...

Your not gonna find a closed phone to replace the qc2's for under a $100 (except maaaaybe the senn 280 pro). Especially if your dad got the qc2's for free, then your fighting a lost cause. Sorry.

I think your best plan of action would be to just get a ms-1 and let them play with it. Hopefully they'll be so impressed that they wont mind spending $175 on a pair of beyer dt770's (something that fits their needs (comfort, looks, sound q) except for price) for their flights.

Jul 27, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #12 of 15
I doubt the V6's will block out enough noise for airplane travel.

My vote goes to iem's, shure's or ety's. The shure e2c's should be a great budget canal phone.

Jul 27, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 15
Pinny is right, with your current budget you're fighting a bit of a lost cause. The 280's would probably do for isolation and should "put the smack down" on the QC2 for sound, but it's not going to win out in comfort and asthetics.

An IEM is a great idea but the Ety's don't really have the bass to be viable on a plane. I'd recommend the E4, but that's pretty much twice your budget, and still a little bass shy for a plane...

What might be the best thing is to buy yourself something like the UE Super.Fi 5 Pro, Westone UM2, or Shure E5, and offer to let them try it on their next plane trip. Show them how to use it and let them decide whether or not it's something they're even interested in.

Jul 28, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildeone
parents are notoriously impossible.... if your dad's convinced the bose's are the bees' knees, nothing's likely to change his mind if that's what he wants.... i've tried for years to initiate my parents (whole family actually) and failed. then again, it is *my* family and not yours so good luck!

for what it's worth, i second the mdr-7506 within your criteria.... additionally, they're quite comfortable which will add to their enjoyment.

again, good luck.

lol, this post is so, so true. Every time I mention a pair of headphones I like, my dad asks if they are as good as his Bose QCs.

"parents are notoriously impossible." Lol.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back