Need headphones, $100 budget (will buy used)
Oct 27, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #16 of 25
Get Grado SR-80i, and get the Jumbo pads= improved sound stage ^_^

Sorry for being terribly misinforming, but in all honesty, I can't help but recommend Grados. Multiple Eargasms all within an hour of listening.

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #17 of 25
Fischer FA-011, close to your budget with a very exciting sound. Gaming and movie monsters.

I prefer these over my HiFiMAN HE-5LE's now, and cost 8x less.

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #18 of 25
My OP has been updated for clarity.

fabio-fi - the RX900's seem to be great for the price and from what I've read you can greatly improve the sound with some simple mods. I'm not sure how much of an advantage there would be to splitting my budget and buying two different headphones (although I can up my budget to $150 I'd probably just end up using the one I liked better anyways).

How do the RX900's sound in comparison to the Sony MDR-V6 and DT770 Pro-80's in terms of soundstage and bass?

Due to my lack of experience with headphones it's hard to describe exactly what I want. I guess one way to sort of describe it is like a movie theater like sound or a fun sound. I'm thinking a closed headphone would give me more of this feel so that I would be more isolated.

Oct 28, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #19 of 25
My list has been slimmed down a bit. I've been reading a lot of reviews and looking at a lot of FR graphs. I've only been able to find one FR graph HERE for the RX900 and it was very similar to the A500 also found on that site. This slightly confuses me because people say the RX900 has great bass but the A500 doesn't (well not as much).

Questions:
1) Can someone help explain the above situation?
2) Would the RX-900's benefit from an amp?
3) What budget amp would you recommend?

Oct 28, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #20 of 25
My vote is the m50's. They have surprisingly good sound stage. The bass from bombs exploding guns ect ect works awesome as well too. I have not used them for movies but give enough comfort for about 2-3 hours.

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #22 of 25
I actually ended up buying two pairs of headphones and one of them was even crossed off in my above list. I went this route because I don't have much experience with different sound signatures and this way I'll get a better idea of what I like.

The two I ended up buying are the JVC RX900's and the Samson SR850's. After doing more research I found that the Samson's are a very good set of cans for the money. So in the end I spent just under $88 for both. The two main headphones that I may still end up purchasing in the future are the DT770's and the HFI-580's.

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #23 of 25
Where did you find the Superlux 668B for $85? That's a crazy expensive price for them. I've recently seen them at $40 and never over $50.  They're, IMO, an upgrade to the Sampsons, which are basically identical to the 681's in terms of S.Q..

Nov 3, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #24 of 25
The only place I could find the 668B's were on ebay and that's what they cost after $25 shipping. I've read plenty of reviews on the Superlux and Samson headphones and I'm happy with my decision. Form what I've read the Samson's are similar to the 668B's but with more bass. I know $85 is really expensive for them which is why I didn't even consider purchasing them in the first place.

Nov 4, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #25 of 25
I received my RX900's yesterday and have used them for around 4 hours now. I'm pretty satisfied with the sound they produce but they are no where near as comfortable as I thought they would be. There's no comparing the comfort of the RX900 to my Bose around ear headphones. The Bose form a nice seal around your ears and are amazing in terms of comfort. The RX900's don't have this seal and they seem to be a little tight. I'm not too worried about the the stiffness because that will loosen up with time. I really miss the way the Bose earpads hugged my ears while I'd say the RX900's smashes them in comparison.

Are there any earpads I can purchase to get the seal that I'm missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back