Need Headphone Recommendation
Apr 8, 2010 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ggmystic

New Head-Fier
so.. i need an upgrade from my hd555 for around $250 usd

use: gaming, movies, music: mostly female vocals, and closed preferably because people complain when they can hear what i'm listening to

need something that's easy to drive, really don't want to get an amp (recommending a sound card is fine; heard good things about essence stx)

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audi4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon AH-D2000

x2 for Audiophile D2000
atsmile.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 12
ATH-A700 or A900 work pretty well with gaming. They're also very comfortable and super easy to drive.

Soundcard-wise, I'm happy with my Auzentech Forte. Got it refurb too, so price was nice. And it comes with a little headphone amp onboard. Bonus!

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 12
the D2000 seems pretty good from what ive read.

I tested some DT990's 600 ohm a while back, and damn they sound good. Its coming out from a Little Dot II

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 12
I'll have to recommend the D2000's as well. As said above they do leak a little. I've asked my roommates about this and they told me that they can't hear my music except some of the higher notes. I listen to them at low to moderate levels. They run well from my computer so powering them shouldn't be a problem. The Ultrasone HFI-780 is also worth checking out.

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 12
thanks for the recommendations so far.
smily_headphones1.gif

i looked at some other phones, would the dt770/dt880 be any good for my needs?

and if so, would a sound card like a auzentech forte/asus essence stx be able to power it without a dedicated desktop amp/

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 12
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of D2000's the times that I've heard them. They didn't sound like they would be particularly good at female vocals, if that's your primary music choice. The ones I have heard had definite bass presence, but I wasn't blown away by clarity in the mids. Not a bad can though, and I also remember not being blown away by the Beyers, but they didn't disappoint me as much. a caveat that I should mention is that I was listening to the D2000's and Beyers at a meet and not some quiet spot, so YMMV. There were also orthos and a pair of T1's and HD800's and some other crazy modded out cans there, so my ears may have been spoiled rotten for that day.

Forte has it's own headphone amp built in. I can't speak to it, but ROBSCIX posted a while back that you shouldn't have a problem with up to 600 ohm cans and someone else commented that it should power the dt880 easy.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/au...ml#post6468056

In the spirit of full disclosure, I can't personally speak to it, since I use A700's on my desktop.

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 12
You have to try the Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO ( the 32 ohm version) very very very good sound and they are very easy to drive.I have a question for you about the Sennheiser HD555 I hope you will answer for me:How is the surround effect in the headphones when they are used for gaming and movie watching? I have read that they will be very good for surround use but have not had the opportunity to test this out myself.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #12 of 12
DT770/880/990s aren't easy to drive. A soundcard can drive their volume, maybe, but they aren't close to sufficient to power them right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back