Need headphone for a friend
Dec 23, 2007 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mizou

New Head-Fier
Okay, thee of much more can knowledge than I. I need some help.

I want to get a pair of cans for a friend's birthday/late Christmas, but I'm kind of stuck on what exactly. I let him try my Grado SR225s once, and while he was impressed at "how clear" it sounded, and how well it separated instruments in a mix, he didn't seem overly astounded with it.

My buddy likes rock and metal, so you'd think Grado would be a good fit. However, he really likes bass. He's a guitarist like me, who really likes to hear/feel the thump and chug of a palm-muted guitar. Stuff he likes is similar to what I do.. System of a Down being his number one.

So.. Any good cans in the ~$100 price range that do well on bass, but don't lose clarity? I hate how phones that advertise "Great Bass!" are really just mud buckets, and I don't want to do that to him.

I'm willing to go up a bit if it means a quality phone (like, to $120 or so), but nothing much higher, so Beyer DT770s are out. Circumaural or supra aural, doesn't matter. Maybe even some great IEMs or something if they match. I just want to get him a great all-around can that does good bass. One more thing: it'll be unamped from a CD player or something, so nothing too intricate.

Dec 23, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So.. Any good cans in the ~$100 price range that do well on bass, but don't lose clarity? I hate how phones that advertise "Great Bass!" are really just mud buckets, and I don't want to do that to him.

I'm willing to go up a bit if it means a quality phone (like, to $120 or so), but nothing much higher, so Beyer DT770s are out. Circumaural or supra aural, doesn't matter. Maybe even some great IEMs or something if they match. I just want to get him a great all-around can that does good bass. One more thing: it'll be unamped from a CD player or something, so nothing too intricate.

Sounds like he may need a pair of Beyerdynamics, The DT231 around $59, They have great bass (not bloated) the mids are slightly veiled but hardly notice, and they have excellent highs.

Dec 24, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 5
i also like the dt231 for your friend, unless you are willing to hit the dt770
but for good clear bass, listening to rock i'd go beyer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back