Need Headphone Amp and Connection Recommendations - Focal Utopia
Apr 4, 2017 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

timztunz

New Head-Fier
As stated by many in a thread like this, I'm not new to Hi-Fi but AM new to "grownup" headphones.  So I'm prepared to take the lashings sure to come for asking stupid questions.  And I have spent more than a few hours on here searching for information but not finding exactly what I'm looking for.  But I think I've come to the right place, right?  In one of my systems I want to add a headphone rig.  I have a pair of Oppo PM-3 and a HA-2 amp connected to an iPod loaded with AIFF files that I use for mobile duty when traveling.  VERY satisfying experience!  My wife and I split our time between the US and Brasil so there is a lot of traveling.  I have a reference system in the US but I want to add a headphone rig to the system in Brasil.  As I have a tendency to jump into things with both feet, when I saw an incredible deal on  new pair of Focal Utopia I had to jump on it.  But now what?  This second system in Brasil is an all Rega system consisting of an ELEX-R integrated amp, a Saturn-R CD/DAC, an RP6 turntable and RS5 speakers.  I also feed Redbook CD's ripped to AIFF files to the Saturn-R DAC via an Empirical Audio interface with USB from a Mac Mini.

I've seen it mentioned here that one should note their "sound signature preference".  So I will attempt to do that.  Primarily I'm an analog devotee.  Vinyl is my first preference and the lushness of tubes melts my heart.  My reference system consists of TW Acustics electronics and turntable with 300B monoblocks.  In that system I also have a Playback Designs CD/SACD player.  But I'm not a "vinyl snob".  In fact I own more CD's than LP's, not by a lot but still more CD's.  I do know that some digital media on some sources can sound good, very good.  But I also have to admit that the digital experiences that I find the most pleasing are ones that remind me of analog.  So I guess if I have a "sound signature preference" that would be it.

So the first stupid question that I have is connection related, regardless of the headphone amp choice.  My research tells me that the best way to connect whichever headphone amp I choose to this system are the Tape Out RCA's (labeled Record Out on the Rega) of the ELEX-R.  Is that correct?

Now for the really stupid question.  Assuming that connection method is correct, what happens to the volume control on the ELEX-R?  I assume I can control the volume of the headphones with the volume control of the headphone amp, correct?  But I would need to turn the volume down on the ELEX-R to avoid sound coming from the external speakers.  That's not going to affect the volume of the headphones/headphone amp is it?

If I haven't lost you yet due to stupid questions, on to amp recommendations.  I have it down to a short list of two, but would willingly be open to other suggestions.

1) Sennheiser HDVD 800 - this seems the most straightforward of the two.  I think it would connect to the ELEX-R via the Tape Out RCA connections so that all sources fed to the headphone amp would come through the ELEX-R.  What are your thoughts on this choice?

2) I guess due to other very pleasurable Oppo experiences I was drawn to look at their HA-1 amp.  This option seems to add another connection alternative for the computer files, if I'm understanding it correctly.  For one, I would still connect the ELEX-R Tape Out's to the analog In's of the HA-1 for audio from vinyl and CD.  Doing so would also give me the computer files via the Saturn-R/Empirical Audio connection.  But I think alternatively I could access the computer files directly into the HA-1 by either the direct Asynchronous USB connection (bypassing the Empirical Audio device) or the Coax connection IF going through the Empirical Audio device.  So I would like to know what you think about the amp, compared to the Sennheiser.  But also any opinions you have on the computer file connection options.

I would like to thank you for your patience and for any assistance you might offer.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 5
Apparently I didn't do nearly enough investigating into the Oppo HA-1.  I can't find where it's even available for sale any longer?  Doesn't it seem odd that for such a highly regarded piece (in the reviews anyway) that it would disappear in just a couple of years?

Apr 4, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 5

I've seen it mentioned here that one should note their "sound signature preference".  So I will attempt to do that.  Primarily I'm an analog devotee.  Vinyl is my first preference and the lushness of tubes melts my heart.  My reference system consists of TW Acustics electronics and turntable with 300B monoblocks.  In that system I also have a Playback Designs CD/SACD player.  But I'm not a "vinyl snob".  In fact I own more CD's than LP's, not by a lot but still more CD's.  I do know that some digital media on some sources can sound good, very good.  But I also have to admit that the digital experiences that I find the most pleasing are ones that remind me of analog.  So I guess if I have a "sound signature preference" that would be it.

When people have a preference between analogue and digital, they could still pick the same speaker or headphone. What people mean when they ask for preferred sound signature to guide recommendations is a lot less "CD vs vinyl" and a lot more "Wharfedale vs Focal vs Sonus Faber vs Dynaudio." 

So the first stupid question that I have is connection related, regardless of the headphone amp choice.  My research tells me that the best way to connect whichever headphone amp I choose to this system are the Tape Out RCA's (labeled Record Out on the Rega) of the ELEX-R.  Is that correct?

Yes. Alternately, some headphone amps like the Rega Ear and Creeks have a similar circuit so you can hook up the CD or TT to the headphone amp then connect the bypass line out of the headphone amp to the integrated amp or preamp.

What's more common nowadays though primarily due to desktop systems with headphones and studio monitors (and a far second being dedicated power amps) is a headphone amp with a preamp output.

Now for the really stupid question.  Assuming that connection method is correct, what happens to the volume control on the ELEX-R?  I assume I can control the volume of the headphones with the volume control of the headphone amp, correct?  But I would need to turn the volume down on the ELEX-R to avoid sound coming from the external speakers.  That's not going to affect the volume of the headphones/headphone amp is it?

The potentiometer on a preamp or integrated amp does not affect the Tape Loop output.

1) Sennheiser HDVD 800 - this seems the most straightforward of the two.  I think it would connect to the ELEX-R via the Tape Out RCA connections so that all sources fed to the headphone amp would come through the ELEX-R.  What are your thoughts on this choice?

With a 16ohm output impedance the Utopia would be at the limit of how low of a load impedance you should use with it without compromising damping factor. If you don't mind spending that much money for something you probably shouldn't try with a good number of other headphones, or you don't plan on trying anything else with impedance lower than the Utopia's, then it's OK.

Also if you're after a more organic sound you might want to look into the Meier Corda Jazz FF or Schiit Lyr instead.

Apparently I didn't do nearly enough investigating into the Oppo HA-1.  I can't find where it's even available for sale any longer?  Doesn't it seem odd that for such a highly regarded piece (in the reviews anyway) that it would disappear in just a couple of years?

Highly regarded doesn't always translate to sensible business economics between production and distribution costs vs sales. The XJ220 and F1 are highly regarded, but they didn't have the same production run as the Testarossa and 456GT.

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 5

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.  I have another of what probably qualifies as a stupid question to most of you.  But......if the sources (TT, CD Player, etc.) do not have balanced connections to the integrated amp, the integrated amp doesn't have balanced Tape Out connections to the headphone amp, the headphone amp doesn't have balanced connections coming in (but DOES have balanced output to headphones), is there, was there ever, any advantage to having balanced connections on the headphone cable?

I came across this quote, "In order to achieve best performance from a balanced headphone system, a fully balanced audio source is needed."

I guess the simpler question is there any advantage to having a balanced connection of the headphones of an otherwise unbalanced signal?  And if there IS an advantage is there an other advantage of single 4-pin vs. 2x3-pin?

By the way, I settled on a headphone amp and ordered a Tron Antares.

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 5
  Many thanks for taking the time to reply.  I have another of what probably qualifies as a stupid question to most of you.  But......if the sources (TT, CD Player, etc.) do not have balanced connections to the integrated amp, the integrated amp doesn't have balanced Tape Out connections to the headphone amp, the headphone amp doesn't have balanced connections coming in (but DOES have balanced output to headphones), is there, was there ever, any advantage to having balanced connections on the headphone cable?

I came across this quote, "In order to achieve best performance from a balanced headphone system, a fully balanced audio source is needed."

Depending on the circuit the balanced amp might not fully function as a balanced amp, but these are on much older amps. Most just use some kind of a converter to make the signal balanced (assuming they have SE inputs), of sorts, and still run the headphone in balanced mode for the most part.

In some cases using an SE input even if converted by the amp doesn't get you the exact same power output as a fully balanced system. In other cases the amp gets a DAC to go with it, or thanks to the proliferation of desktop systems, build the DAC into the amp - even one relatively simple as on the Jotunheim - that way the line output of the DAC stage will already be balanced, making it easier to use a fully balanced analogue connection (where it matters, ie, it isn't necessary to use AES XLR digital).

You can get around all that by just using an amplifier with 3ch Active Ground. You get the benefits of balanced drive on the headphone, justnot necessarily balanced connections, so you still probably shouldn't run 10ft long line interconnects with these. Meier amps have this and my Cantate.2 is dead quiet even when the knob is set to full volume at high gain. Even on Grados. I only got some noise out of it running high gain on an IEM, but you can barely get past 8:00 on the dial on an IEM playing a Loudness War combatant with it (not to mention I wouldn't really use an IEM indoors unless it's too hot the A/C is cranked up and too noisy for open headphones).

I guess the simpler question is there any advantage to having a balanced connection of the headphones of an otherwise unbalanced signal?

More power with less noise. Whether you need that or not is a different question, but the thing is, why bother with balanced when you can get a good SE amp. The O2 has a lot of power and very low noise. I wouldn't really go much farther than a Meier or Violectric.

And if there IS an advantage is there an other advantage of single 4-pin vs. 2x3-pin?

2x3pin is just the older style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back