Need headphone advice, $150-200, open
Jul 25, 2004 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Natsuiro

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, i'm new to this Head-fi world so i'd appriciate some advice.
I'm looking for new headphones around $150, around 200 max.

I was considering the HD-555, HD-580, and K 501s.

I listen to mostly rock and pop.. also some classical here and there.

I heard the K 501s lack bass. How much would this be lacking? Right now I am using HD-497s. Would the bass be worse on those than what I am currently using?

Also I was wondering what sort of amp would be required to run these headphones.

thx alot for the help!

Jul 25, 2004 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 14
Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif

Senn 555s are pretty good, probably a better choice than the 580s, and cost as low as $100 (see froogle.com). A small amp might help them a bit, but you might survive without one. The next step up, 595s, are meant to be very good, near top of the line, and the 555s are meant to be 80% of them.

The 580s would need a bigger amp, and cost from about $150. For a long time they were considered to be the best headphones in the world, but have now been superceeded by the 600 and 650s. The 595s are reputed to be somewhere between the 600 and 650.

My next purchase will be 595s, I think. I hope my ramblings help a little
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2004 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 14
hi natsuiro, welcome to head-fi! i see that commando has given you the full welcome, so i'll skip that.
wink.gif

first off - would you be amping your cans? if not then looking at your music preferences i would recommend you try the akg100. i've discovered these little gems recently and well to sum up, it's the little brother of the k501 - easier to drive with far more bass.

it retains the dry clear signature of the k501s and most of the richness in the mids and is quite a forgiving phone (ie not as detailed). very light, very comfy and it even comes with a leather headband! (
eek.gif
)

imo it's suitable for most genres of music, except maybe fast synth-heavy types, trance/techno or heavy metal/rock. it would excel with female vocals, jazz in general, pop and classical. you can find the k100 for <$65 via froogle and imo it's a great introduction to the akg sound.

hope that helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 14
Maybe you should consider something from the Beyer line, like the dt931, or a second hand pair of dt880's. They would be suited to the types of music you like.

- augustwest

Jul 26, 2004 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsuiro
Yea I was planning on buying an amp as well. I was looking at the classic from headsave. Would that be sufficient to drive the HD-580s or K-501s?

most certainly - my classic (currently shipping) was designed with my k501 in mind.
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 14
For a $150 open headphone for mainly rock and pop listening, I don't think you could do better than the Grado SR-225. Replacing the stock bowl pads with flats from TTVJ ($30) might edge it closer to $200, but the flat pads are beyond worth it. There's no better headphone that I know in that price range, especially for rock and pop.

Jul 26, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
The 595s are reputed to be somewhere between the 600 and 650.

Commando, do you mean overall sound quality (I'm guessing not sound characteristics)? Curious if several have said this, as I guess I kinda doubt it (haven't heard though, only suspecting from HD555 listened to). All subjective of course, but is there any consensus on this?

Natsuiro, the K501s are fantastic, but as mentioned, veeerrryy picky with amps. Although I’m probably more a Senn and AKG man lately, the Grados should at least be considered with your preferred genres. The Alessandro MS1s ($99) and Grado SR225 ($175) are good choices to add to your list.

Jul 26, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 14
With their "processing fee", it's only $18 less then AudioAdvisors free shipping new cost. Depends if you want to take the risk on refurbs.

Jul 26, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #11 of 14
ok i'm sorry.
I was thinking about it, and I'm kinda interested in the A900s. I know they are closed but I was thinking since they had pretty good reviews here, maybe I should atleast consider them.

I don't really mind if it's closed or open, I just want it to soudn good.
Originally I was turned off by closed because of some really crappy closed senns I heard (i don't remember what model though). The bass was just so sloppy and muddy.But I figure that if you get higher end ones, they won't sound so bad.
What do you guys think of the A900s? What genre of music are they best suited for.

This place is bad to hang out at. At first I just wanted some senn 555s. Now I want the A900s, HD-580s, K501s, and Er-4p.. and some amps too.

Yeah.. but for now, I should get only one set of cans.

Jul 26, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Commando, do you mean overall sound quality (I'm guessing not sound characteristics)? Curious if several have said this, as I guess I kinda doubt it (haven't heard though, only suspecting from HD555 listened to). All subjective of course, but is there any consensus on this?

Remember i'm just passing on my impressions after reading a fair bit about them. Best do your own research before laying out cash.

Jul 27, 2004 at 7:56 AM Post #13 of 14
Hey no problems. I was just curious what gave the impression the HD595 was between the HD600 and HD650? I didn't get that impression from what I've read, so was curious (and trying to fill my void) where that came from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back