Need headphone advice ~$100 given criteria
Mar 18, 2009 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ipponrg

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am looking for on-ear or over the ear headphones that meet the following criteria in no particular order:
- Comfortable! I usually wear headphones on for 6 hours of the day at my job while coding at work.
- Portable! I'd be carrying these headphones around listening to my ipod at airports or streaming from Pandora at work.
- Great sound for music coming out of a computer or ipod

I listen to mainly alternative rock, trance, and pop rock.

Based on my initial research I've come up with the following models that seem to fit my criteria above:
- Sennheiser HD 228 (is new and not many reviews yet)
- Audio Technica ATH-ANC3 (leaning towards this one)
- Denon AH-D1001 (a little more expensive)

I am wondering if anyone can chime in on any other models that I may be missing that may fit my criteria so I can do more research. My budget is ~$100. I dont care for active noise cancelation. Appearance does mean something (I think the Grado SR80s are hideous). If you have any opinions, please dont hesitate to mention.

Thanks again

Mar 18, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 8
eh. It works. They are portable. Though this forum is much more orientated towards earbuds. The full sized can forum might have more knowledgeable people in this area.

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 8
i would go for the Denon AH-D1001 if the closed isolation are not an concern and they are very very comfortable, they are sort of portable with a bag and all. they are only 89 dollars from headroom

Grado are open and will leak sound, and they are really forward sounding.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 8
Apparently ES7 is not that comfortable. Suffers from the clamping effect. Its onear so worser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back