Need Head-Fi's Computer Audio Crew to help me with a decision. Impulsively bought BX5a D2s yesterday.
May 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rfvijn

New Head-Fier
After numerous hours reading and Googling not only this site, but also a few other big name ones, I've decided to just come forth and ask.  Besides, it was the wonderful community here who helped me fall in love with my HD598s.

I'm looking for a pair of active monitors to complement my HD598s for when I don't want to wear my headphones.  I mostly use my computer for 50:50 of gaming (Battlefield and DOTA) and music+schoolwork.  My playlist varies from Daft Punk to Creedence Clearwater to Bach....pretty eclectic, just nothing black or super heavy in bass (which is why I didn't get Grados).

Yesterday I wandered into a grand opening of a new Guitar Center in my town and decided to play with the monitors they had on demo: KRK5, HS50, BX5, and MR5mk2.  I used Billy Squier and Billy Joel to decide.  I thought the KRK5s sounded muddy/muffled and the HS50s were way too quiet and flat (good for mixing I know).  I thought that both the Mackies and the M-Audio sounded excellent.  However, I ended up impulsively buying the BX5 as they were $200 for a new pair and I had 30 days to return them.

So I turn to you HF, did I make a good decision or were my ears deceiving me?  I'm definitely going to go back to listen to them again (especially since they just got JBLs in stock).  My only concern is that I've never been able to hear anything by Alesis, Swan, or Equator.

Thoughts?

May 19, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 3
May 20, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
You may want to take a look at this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647965/monoprice-just-came-out-with-5-3-studio-monitors-165-75

Monoprice is selling some monitors that seem to be almost identical to the BX5a and they are cheaper.

I appreciate the suggestion, and as much as I trust Monoprice, I'd rather wait for some more reviews.

Anyway, I went back to Guitar Center today on my lunch break and listened to them again, and this time I thought the Mackies sounded better.  That said, I could tell that the BX5s weren't setup equally, nor did I have the time for a proper A versus B comparison.

I have Thursday off, so I'm going to go around to a few music stores and make my final decision.  Now that I've had time to play with them though, the BX5s I bought DO sound fantastic and have zero regrets about buying them.

Anyone else have any suggestions?  Mainly it comes down to the BX5 vs MR5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back