Need Good Portable Headphones - Please Help
Aug 26, 2007 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MrD3i2

Head-Fier
I am looking to purchase a new set of headphones to use with an Ipod and with my computer. I am looking to spend around 100$, but am willing to spend more if the value is worth it. I am going to be using these while moving around at school with an Ipod and with a laptop / desktop pc occasionally.

I have been using the Bose Triport Around Ear headphones, but I want to switch to something better / more portable / durable (these are falling apart). Although, I have been pretty satisfied with the sound from the Bose headphones, they are the first set of headphones I have ever had that cost more than 20$.

I listen mostly to rock and electronic, but a little bit of everything is thrown in sometimes.

Thanks a ton for looking at my post, and any suggestions would help tremendously.

Aug 26, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 10
Sure! I just came back from the most wonderful headphone experience, and the rig happened to cost an upwards of $4000, and the value is worth it, trust me
wink.gif

For $100 I think the Sennheiser HD 280 pro is a good all arounder for portability since it has swivel earpads, walking around loud schools at the same time not bothering others from sound leakage. I personally think the sound quality isn't the main priority at this range, the Bose AE will give more bass attenuation, and not many other headphones give that amount of bass in its league.

Aug 26, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrD3i2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking to purchase a new set of headphones to use with an Ipod and with my computer. I am looking to spend around 100$, but am willing to spend more if the value is worth it. I am going to be using these while moving around at school with an Ipod and with a laptop / desktop pc occasionally.

I have been using the Bose Triport Around Ear headphones, but I want to switch to something better / more portable / durable (these are falling apart). Although, I have been pretty satisfied with the sound from the Bose headphones, they are the first set of headphones I have ever had that cost more than 20$.

I listen mostly to rock and electronic, but a little bit of everything is thrown in sometimes.

Thanks a ton for looking at my post, and any suggestions would help tremendously.

Sennheiser HD 25-1. Review: Sennheiser HD 25-1 (revised edition) If they are over your budget, you could go with the HD 25-SP.

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the responses, guys. But, are there any reccomendations for some smaller headphones (something in ear or the like)? Thanks again. Is the sound quality on them just not as good as the outer ear phones?

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 10
HD25-1's are $200, so definitely over-budget; I don't think many people suggest SP's, even for half the price of 25-1's. I second HD280's, and also suggest Sony MDR-V6's. Might want to consider something like Audio-Technica ATH-ES7.

~$100 Grados (which are open - the other ones I've listed are closed) are pretty portable. Alessandro MS-1's are basically the same thing.

Anyway, you have plenty of options... look up a few of the headphones we've mentioned (use the Search button), and you'll find a lot more similar ones that may suit your needs.

EDIT: just noticed your new post about in-ear phones. Look up Shure E2C using Search, and you'll find all its competitors and plenty of reviews.

Aug 26, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 10
I couldn't find a review of the E2C, but I did read one on the E3C. I was wondering what the sound quality difference is between those two? And how they compare to the Bose Triports I used previoulsy / the Bose Triport In Ear. I am willing to up my price limit over 100 if there is something that has much better sound quality. Thanks again.

Aug 26, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 10
I would go for the Sennheiser HD25-1's. I think it is worth going over budget for these. I also have Shure E4C's which are at about the same pricepoint. The Shures are very good, but the Senns are just that much better.

In my opinion IEMs will generally not be as good as full size cans at the same price point.

cheers
Simon

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 10
How about the Koss KSC75's? Personally I prefer their sound over the PX100 (and most headphones under $100) and they are super portable. Plus they only cost $20.

As for in ear, the Etymotic ER-6i, Shure E2C, Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3, and Westone UM1 are all great choices. Depending on the music and sound signature you like, we can help you choose out of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back