Need good "Homework" phones, narrowed down to 2 but open minded
Feb 27, 2009 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Magnumxl711

New Head-Fier
Hi all, i posted here a while back about wanting some good phones, well, basically i'll get right down to it
  1. GOOD isolation-to block outside noise while studying/homework
  2. VERY comfortable-don't want to be bothered by hot/fatigued ears
  3. Fun, warm sound, i don't want a critical "monitor" phone
  4. Warm, controlled bass that does not cover up music
  5. Detailed-ness, would be nice to be able to hear everything
  6. non-DIY, i can't solder and i don't want to risk breaking anything
  7. low-price, like 150$ max, ebay included

So far, i basically have it narrowed down to the beyerdynamic DT-770, and the AKG K 271 MK II.

Cap is 150$ sources include ipod touch second gen with a fiio e5 amp

I listen to a range of music including

MGMT-kind of electro-mellow-trippy music Example: YouTube - MGMT - Time To Pretend

Chiodos-kind of emo, antiphonic (call n response) metal Example: YouTube - Chiodos - All Nereids Beware

Coconut Records-kind of mellow, nu-disco dance music Example: YouTube - Coconut Records - "Nighttiming"

All of my music is encoded at 256kbps at mpeg-4, Ipod touch 2g, fiio e5

Thanks everyone for reading this long message, thanks for any suggestions/comments

beyersmile.png

Feb 27, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 17
I know you're looking for headphones, but whenever I study in the library, I use IEM's. It used to be in the past taht you didn't have many options at the $150 mark for something with that had a good balance of warmth and detail from an IEM, but just from looking the forum, there seem to be a ton of options (monster turbine, phonak audeo pfe, atrio etc...) I find them to be super comfortable (I have a wide head so no clamping force is the best clamping force) and really provides isolation. I've worn my shures for 4-5 hours on end, something that I have never done with full/portable headphones because of hot ears, clamping or both.

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 17
i dunno, i want full-size cans as i currently own the sennheiser CX300 and the wire gets in the way, but with full size cans i won't have to worry about that as much as there is only one, heavier wire

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 17
Also consider the HFI-780 or D1001 or A700, in case you haven't yet.

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #6 of 17
HFI-780 is a good bet, but yours ears might get a bit hot. Clamping can be fixed by bending the top headband and/or leaving the headphone stretched out over some books for a day or two.

The Atrio M5 or Klipsch Image X10 (Little more expensive) is a very solid bet.

If you could stretch your price limit more, the Denon AH-D2000 would probably fit your overall criteria the best at the lowest price.

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #7 of 17
I second getting an IEM instead. Full size cans are awesome for home use but none of the full size cans are really designed for portable use, and even though some of them can be folded in some ways, it's still big and chunky to carry around in a bag all the time. You may carry them around for a while, but, sooner or later, you'll stop carrying it cuz they're mostly such a hassle to carry around the school and library. To me, compared to carrying around extra weight plus added real estate in my bag, dealing with IEM cables is a way more practical and viable option.

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 17
what you've described is just about how I would describe the Denon AH D1001, to a tee. Fun, full sound, with a FiiO E5 the bass is punchy, but controlled. Definitely on the warm side. By far the most comfortable 'phone I've ever tried. Prices range from $100-$150 new. I've actually never seen them for sale used, which may be an indication of how well loved they are. They are well driven even straight out of your iPod (although the FiiO does tighten up the bass a bit and clears them up while bringing the sound more forward).

However, like others have said, it will mainly come down to whether or not portability is a bigger concern than whether or not you can deal with IEMs. If you can handle IEMs, then I think they're normally the way to go. I personally can't. I'll lug around full size cans to the moon and back before I'll wear IEMs.

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you could stretch your price limit more, the Denon AH-D2000 would probably fit your overall criteria the best at the lowest price.

If the D2000s are anything like the D5000s or the D7000s, I'd stay well away from them. They do not isolate well--the DT770 is far superior in that regard.

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robonaut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the D2000s are anything like the D5000s or the D7000s, I'd stay well away from them. They do not isolate well--the DT770 is far superior in that regard.

I guess it depends on what he means by "GOOD isolation" if he wants a soundproof veil to drop down over the outside world when he puts them on, then I'd probably agree, the closed, but non-sealed, Denons won't do that. However, if he wants to just drown out regular ambient noise, then I think the Denons are fine with that, provided you listen to them at medium listening levels (about 50% of an iPod's volume) or higher.

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robonaut /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They isolate just fine if you're in any kind of studying environment (library, dorm room, outside under a tree, whatever). I use my D5000's in a medium to medium-loud office and they're just fine. The way people talk you'd think they didn't isolate at all, but that's not true. They're not IEMs by any stretch of the imagination (Which is what you should be using in truly noisy environments), but they get the job done well enough that it's not such a big deal.

I suggested the Denons because they're the closest fit for what the OP needs (other than price). Other than that, it's got to be IEMs or the HFI-680/780/DT770.

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 17
There's no way I'd pick the AKG 271. It's a great reference phone, has got great clarity and fits like a pillow. But I wouldn't use it as a playback phone, it's just not interesting enough and doesn't have strong enough bass. I don't think it would do it justice to MGMT (I like their album as well),

What you're asking for is pretty difficult to judge in one single headphone though :p

I've never tried them but Audio Technica ATH-ES7 might be one to look into. Amazon has them rated 9/9 5 star.

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #14 of 17
JVC RX700 are closed.

When I listen to headphones while doing homework, I listen at low volumes. Even with closed if, when you are somewhere as quiet as a library, you will annoy people with closed at even decent sound level, not loud.

So I would get something like RX700, wouldn't spend much for a headphone that will only be used at low volume and one that can take a beating transporting it from home and library.

Save the money and buy a sweet open air can for home use!

Check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/jvc...i-nuts-375575/

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JVC RX700 are closed.

When I listen to headphones while doing homework, I listen at low volumes. Even with closed if, when you are somewhere as quiet as a library, you will annoy people with closed at even decent sound level, not loud.

So I would get something like RX700, wouldn't spend much for a headphone that will only be used at low volume and one that can take a beating transporting it from home and library.

Save the money and buy a sweet open air can for home use!

Check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/jvc...i-nuts-375575/

If the headphone has good isolation it's pretty obvious that it will make less noise than an open headphone. When I listened to my PX100s in the library I used to get told to turn my headphones down all the time, I like to listen to my phones louder than low volume. I know you like open air phones and they are usually the better choice for sound quality, but there ARE good closed ones out there that he could still look into if he wants ones with isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back