Need good choices in the $50-125 range
Jul 7, 2016 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kerry56

500+ Head-Fier
Its been a while since I posted here regularly.  I've been satisfied with two of my headphones for the past three years or so and am now out of the loop on newer models.  I've been using my Creative Aurvana Live! headphones as a daily driver, and have completely worn out the pads.  I've ordered new ones from China, but the Aurvana's are showing some wear and tear.  I've had to re-solder wires on both sides.  They are working perfectly well now, and with new pads, should be usable again, but I'd like to have a good backup and maybe try out a different sound.

I'm selling off my Grado SR60i set.  I finally decided they were just not what I like in sound signature.  They are very clear, but tiring to listen to, and don't work for all types of music well.

My AKG K240 Mk II set decided to develop cracks in the caps on both sides.  Couldn't find replacements, so I took the caps off before they fell off.  Doesn't affect the sound, but the K240's need amplification to get best results and I don't want to have to do that.  I'm just a casual listener, not an audiophile.   In any case, the K240's are a bit dull with my un-amped HTPC and don't really compete with the Aurvana.

Still using modified Koss Porta-Pro's with my tablet, so I'm happy using them as portables.  They are just a bit too muddy on the bass to use all the time.

So what are the good choices these days in the $50-$125 price range?

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 9
Well, the quality of this site has certainly gone down over the last few years.  Once upon a time, requests for recommendations would get several answers.  And I notice several others threads with a similar fate.  Funny enough, the low budget threads are the most ignored.  For example:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/812659/looking-for-good-closed-around-ear-headphones-for-general-use-on-a-budget  No answer in that one at the time of this posting, just a bump looking for more help.

I really think that tossing all the recommendation requests (amplification, iem's, and headphones) into one catch-all forum was a big mistake, and leads to less helpful replies.

Ok, back to my question.  Not enough information to work with?  Lets extrapolate from what I did offer in the first post.  I have used closed, open and semi-open headphones, so no real preference there.  Only one of my headphones has a detachable cord, and it isn't an important option for me.  I like the warm sound of the Aurvana Live!, so a purely neutral sound is not what I'm after.  I listen to progressive + indy + some classic rock, and I use headphones all the time for watching movies.  None of that is going to push the boundaries of what a headphone can accomplish.

I'd rather have pads that fit around the ear, not on the ear.  I don't need portability, but I also don't want a set that requires an amp.  I know most of the sets that were around three years ago, but have a gap in my knowledge of models released since then.  Are there any good choices in this price range that have been recently introduced? 

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #3 of 9
I noticed the same regarding the "lower end" request for recommendation posts. Odd, but let's just assume the lack of response is not due to ill will but rather due to lack of knowledge on the part of most Head-Fi members?

tongue.gif

I haven't tried their recent models (so this might be a useless recommendation as their prices might have significantly increased), but in that price range I really used to like Skullcandy Hesh cans. Nice comfortable closed cans with a really nice, non-fatiguing sound, without over-emphasis on bass (though of course it does have plenty). I see now they have the Hesh 2 model out, priced at 60 euro's. Are the "audiophile"? Probably not. But I really enjoyed them, and they are sturdy as anything. Might be worth a twirl.

beyersmile.png

I also really really llike the AKG K550 headphones I got a few months back, but they are of course not a new model, and I guess they were only roughly near your price bracket temporarily when I got them for 140 euro's. So once again apologies for maybe a not very helpful recommendation. They are really good though, especially considering they are closed. Good sound stage, nice bass, good separation. But oh well... I can't seem to find it anywhere for a decent price anymore.

frown.gif

Something not really in your price range (sorry once again), but it still looks like a pretty good deal regardless (who knows, you might find 75 bucks somewhere in your couch): Massdrop has a "Massdrop x AKG K7XX Audiophile Headphone" for 200 dollars.

Jul 8, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 9
Well, you might look at it as too many people like you just using the site to ask for help and selling stuff, but not giving back by helping yourself. Just sayin'
wink.gif

Or we could look at replies like this as an inability to take any type of critique of the site, and STILL not offer any type of answer to the original question.

While I was active here, I took a lot of time to answer what I could, when I could.  You can go back through my posting history if you like, there are only a few hundred of them. 

@zsejk

Thanks for at least giving a few options.  Perhaps there simply isn't a good answer to my question however.

Jul 8, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #5 of 9
It's hard to go wrong with Philips SHP9500's in this price range, though they are mid-centric and the bass is a bit rolled off

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #6 of 9
Another one that is slightly over budget, but that I've read really good things about is the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (roughly 145 dollars on for instance Amazon, or 120 dollars on eBay). I don't have it myself, but it might be worth looking into if you haven't already.

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 9
Looks like my thank you to HipHopScribe got wiped out along with the trollish replies from someone else.

Thanks for mentioning the Philips set HipHopScribe.  I'll look up some threads about it, but it may not have quite as much bass as I want. 

Oh, and thanks again to zsejk.  I know about the ATH-M50 line, though I never tried them.

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 9
I would also recommend the Philips SHP9500 for open, as well as the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x for closed. The M50x has overwhelming bass that makes it sound muddy at times. I think the M40x is better without EQ. Speaking of that...it's a great idea to use a parametric equalizer to tweak the frequency response of any headphone to your liking. You may dislike a headphone at first but end up loving it after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back