Need general advice for my experience with in ears
Aug 17, 2017 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

faultfracture

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a lot of difficulty finding in ears that work for me. It's a little difficult even deciding where to begin considering my anatomy :p

My right ear canal is significantly larger than my left but I also suspect my left to have a larger than normal bend. I have a very difficult time getting tips that are small enough and I'm very sensitive to insertion depth. Very deep at all and I feel pain in my ears and using deep insertion earphones also resorts in a ton of wax in the earphones/tips unfortunately. Guess I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...

I can usually get a good acoustic seal with earphones but the problem is keeping them in. Even if im not moving they also seem to work themselves out of my ears. I also have a very difficult time with my jaw movements drastically changing the sound of earphones. With a lot of them if I clench my jaw it's almost as if I can completely close the opening of the earphones and completely muffle their sound, this really bothers me.

Is there anyone that can recommend certain tips for someone like me to try? Even shure earphones design to sit in your concha bowls won't go into the concha of my ears without having to push so hard it causes pain. Any ideas?

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 15
I have a lot of difficulty finding in ears that work for me. It's a little difficult even deciding where to begin considering my anatomy :p

My right ear canal is significantly larger than my left but I also suspect my left to have a larger than normal bend. I have a very difficult time getting tips that are small enough and I'm very sensitive to insertion depth. Very deep at all and I feel pain in my ears and using deep insertion earphones also resorts in a ton of wax in the earphones/tips unfortunately. Guess I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...

I can usually get a good acoustic seal with earphones but the problem is keeping them in. Even if im not moving they also seem to work themselves out of my ears. I also have a very difficult time with my jaw movements drastically changing the sound of earphones. With a lot of them if I clench my jaw it's almost as if I can completely close the opening of the earphones and completely muffle their sound, this really bothers me.

Is there anyone that can recommend certain tips for someone like me to try? Even shure earphones design to sit in your concha bowls won't go into the concha of my ears without having to push so hard it causes pain. Any ideas?

Save up for a CIEM.

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 15

After years of using iems, it took me a long time to figure out my ears were like that as well(yes, I'm slow. Haha). My ear canal size isn't symetric either, and the bend isn't the same I think because I've had CIEMs that created some pain on one side during extended listening sessions. Silicone based ciems on the other hand is fairly comfy without such issue.

Universals and the way the tips are shaped, I consider them "average" fits. Since it has to be an average to fit universally.

As far as non-ciem in ear monitors(the universal kind), if I have issue with them falling out, I go one size up. If one size up more or less fits fine for both sides depends on if it's an avg of both ear canal size, if it's signficantly bigger than the one size down, it will distort the tips(this depends on material properties). I dislike complies thinking it changes the treble a bit(likely due to more of absorption type material properties I believe, and to higher degree the more foamy kinds). So, I tend to go for the silicone tips, and prefer the more stiff or thinker silicon material tips(some are thin and easier to bend). The thin ones react too much if the fit is off, and bend to create gaps when inserted. Also, the friction of the silicone material matter as well(as it keeps the tips in place.

I think Spiral Dots are the good kind, and they make a size between medium and large, medium large(ML).

What also matters to keep the iems in place is the type of fit the iem provides. The more insertive types stays in place better, and there are ones with better ergonomic fits like the Shures.

images

32165629593_26aba99c5e_b.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #12 of 15
Hi faultfracture,

I personally use complys but have you tried spinfits ? They might work for you though not sure how you feel about slightly deep insertion as some may find this slightly uncomfortable but I can relate as I have a similar issue with fit though I cheat a little with the complys as I use them mainly with iems which have a ear hook or if not using an ear hook in ears, I simply gently push one side slighty further in.

Hope this helps...

Have a great day !

Sep 3, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 15
Here are some grainy front camera photos to illustrate my points :)

https://imgur.com/TmRp2Ee

These aurisonic (fender earphones) will not even go into my ear. They will not rest in my concha bowl, if I push the housing into the concha bowl (where they are designed to sit) they COMPLETELY block off the sound from the driver and hurt my ear tremendously.

https://imgur.com/FhCkTJN

I'm wearing these Shure SE530's COMPLETELY BACKWARDS, I can wear them like this in my left ear well. Unfortunately they won't stay in my right ear when wearing them backwards.

Any suggestions on how to get either of these earphones to fit other than selling them :wink:

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #14 of 15
Here are some grainy front camera photos to illustrate my points :)

https://imgur.com/TmRp2Ee

These aurisonic (fender earphones) will not even go into my ear. They will not rest in my concha bowl, if I push the housing into the concha bowl (where they are designed to sit) they COMPLETELY block off the sound from the driver and hurt my ear tremendously.

https://imgur.com/FhCkTJN

I'm wearing these Shure SE530's COMPLETELY BACKWARDS, I can wear them like this in my left ear well. Unfortunately they won't stay in my right ear when wearing them backwards.

Any suggestions on how to get either of these earphones to fit other than selling them :wink:

If they can't even fit your outer ear area your only options are:

1) Sell them and get a CIEM, since practically no IEM will fit if the SE535 can't at all. Maybe the Soundmagic E10 since it's smaller, but it's a single driver, small chamber unit, so not sure how you'll like the sound. There's the UE TripleFi which was designed to go into the ear like how you wear the SE535, and it looks like Frankenstein's monster with the bolts coming out of his neck.

2) Amputate your ears and have new ones cartilage with something like a reverse Chinese girl shoe device to make sure it widens that area.

I don't know about you but #2 is kind of drastic when CIEMs are a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back