Need Full-Size Headphone to Replace SR-225
Mar 31, 2005 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mhcarlos

100+ Head-Fier
When I switch from the SR-225 to the Ety ER4, the SR-225 seem muddy by comparison. When I switch back to the Etys, I miss the SR-225's bass. But after listening to both for a while, I find myself more satisfied with the ER4. I tend to raise the volume on the SR-225 and I think it's hard on my ears. It also sounds shrill and fatiguing at times (I'm actually now more satisfied with my SR-60). With the ER4, the highs and details are all there even at low volume and it's never fatiguing.

My question is, is there a full-size headphone out there with as much detail as the ER4 but with more bass? I was thinking of the following:

HD 580
DT880
SR-325i
RS-1

I'm also leaning towards Senn and Beyer comfort. I tried a couple of Senns in the store and also got to try my friend's DT770.

I would appreciate feedback/suggestions. Thanks!

Mar 31, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcarlos
When I switch from the SR-225 to the Ety ER4, the SR-225 seem muddy by comparison. When I switch back to the Etys, I miss the SR-225's bass. But after listening to both for a while, I find myself more satisfied with the ER4. I tend to raise the volume on the SR-225 and I think it's hard on my ears. It also sounds shrill and fatiguing at times (I'm actually now more satisfied with my SR-60). With the ER4, the highs and details are all there even at low volume and it's never fatiguing.

My question is, is there a full-size headphone out there with as much detail as the ER4 but with more bass? I was thinking of the following:

HD 580
DT880
SR-325i
RS-1

I'm also leaning towards Senn and Beyer comfort. I tried a couple of Senns in the store and also got to try my friend's DT770.

I would appreciate feedback/suggestions. Thanks!

I think the RS-1's are the "bee's knees". Probably the most fun headphone I have ever heard.

Mar 31, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turner_Brown
I think the RS-1's are the "bee's knees". Probably the most fun headphone I have ever heard.

Turner_Brown -- Is it less fatiguing than the 225? Does it approach the Etys in terms of detail?

Mar 31, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Turner_Brown -- Is it less fatiguing than the 225? Does it approach the Etys in terms of detail?

You are simply not going to get inner ear monitor detail through a full sized can with a dynamic transducer. Ask doobooloo, he's went through so many headphones and realized nothing compared to his er4s, the only upgrade for him possible would be the UE-10's, now those are some nice IEM's, thats as good as it gets IMO.

Electrostats like the k1000 can give you that detail, i've also heard the R10 is hyper detailed as well, but you might be sacrificing some other things as well. You are better off staying with 225's and ety er4 because its hard to find that one can that will do everything you want it to do, and using those two cans which are both very good in their rights to satisfy your music requirements, or you can look towards upgrading something else along the chain, source would be nice

Mar 31, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Are you using the bowl pads with the 225's? I used flats and didn't find them fatiquing at all. Re: the detail of the RS-1 vs. Etys. As recstar said...no, they are not as detailed. But definately closer in detail to the etys than the 225.

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turner_Brown
Are you using the bowl pads with the 225's? I used flats and didn't find them fatiquing at all. Re: the detail of the RS-1 vs. Etys. As recstar said...no, they are not as detailed. But definately closer in detail to the etys than the 225.

I concur...rs-1's are the most detailed cans of the grado line, but the detail is a little more refined...but come on now, you are trying to compare something that is millimeters from your ear canals to a full sized dynamic transducer, its kind of unrealistic what you are asking for, those inner ear monitors will always have way more lower level detail and resolution than an rs-1, once you start getting into UE-10 level you probably will be dissatisfied with any full sized transducer from that point on, go ask welly wu or wait until doobooloo's impressions come out

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #7 of 12
Turner_Brown -- I use modded Senn pads.

recstar24 -- I'm not about to get another IEM. I'm really looking for an easy-on-easy-off and relatively comfy full-size can. Thanks for the info.

Thanks guys...

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:32 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Electrostats like the k1000 can give you that detail, i've also heard the R10 is hyper detailed as well, but you might be sacrificing some other things as well.

You know both of those are dynamic, right?

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 12
i think the CD3000's would be a good choice. to me, they are like my Etys but more. more extension, more bass, more soundstage, and i don't find them to be fatiguing at all. they are also pretty comfortable.

Mar 31, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
You know both of those are dynamic, right?

oops sorry, i stand corrected
icon10.gif

Apr 1, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 12
Now that i think about it, when i went from the 225's to the old ms-2's, i noticed a difference in the detail, to the point of i heard a guitar solo on the ms-2 that i did not hear on the 225's, i mean we're talking about a whole guitar solo here!

however, i dont think the detail could even compare to the er4p/s, but it was more than previous

Apr 1, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #12 of 12
Is physics the reason why my request is unreasonable (i.e. open air headphone dynamics versus in-ear)?

Looking for the perfect headphones is tiring. I think I'll just keep the 225 for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back