NEED FINAL CHOICE ON EARBUDS!!!! PLEASE HELP
Feb 16, 2005 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DzStyle

New Head-Fier
Final CHOICE ON EARBUDS
confused.gif
I think I came to the right place, I heard this is where all the knowledgeable audio heads are. I just got a Creative Muvo Micro 512 MP3 player, and I'm looking to upgrade the earbuds. Just a note, I only wear earbuds!! I've narrowed it down to pretty much two choices. It's between the Sennheiser MX 500's and the Sennheiser MX550's. I've read a lot of great reviews on the MX500's, but haven't come across any material reviewing the MX550's.?! What pair do all of you audio Gurus think is better and why???!!! Thanks everyone, Derek...

Feb 16, 2005 at 11:07 AM Post #4 of 8
I like my Bang & Olufsen A8's, but what do I know? Most everybody else hates them.

Feb 16, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #5 of 8
My ranking of the ones I've had is MX450 > MX500 > MX400/300.
MX450 is fine and so cheap. To improve on it, I feel I'd have to move towards canalphones (see Sharp MD33).

Feb 16, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
My ranking of the ones I've had is MX450 > MX500 > MX400/300.
MX450 is fine and so cheap. To improve on it, I feel I'd have to move towards canalphones (see Sharp MD33).

For what reason do you rank the 500 over the 400? By that preference, would you advice the 550 over the 450 as well?

Personally, I prefer the 450 over the 550, as the only different is volume control (seemingly). One time my 550s just sounded horrible, the details were there sparkling like when they were when I first bought them. I found, a day later, that the volume had slid down slightly--after some readjustment they sounded better again.

Feb 16, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 8
Hi!

My experience is the MX350 and MX450 are better than old MX500/400. They were fine, but treble was missing and they were phony and somewhat hollow sounding. They were flat, smooth and very high quality buds, though. But the new MX350 sounded so much more intimate, sharp and less boomy. Firts day until I get accustomed to their sound, they seemed almost too sharp and unlistenable, but now, after half year, I can say they are best buds I tried (I think at least 20 buds from different manufacturers). I would like more bass extension, more bass presence and smoother uppermids/lower highs but generally, they're great!

Moonwalker

Feb 16, 2005 at 1:34 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonwalker
Hi!

My experience is the MX350 and MX450 are better than old MX500/400. They were fine, but treble was missing and they were phony and somewhat hollow sounding. They were flat, smooth and very high quality buds, though. But the new MX350 sounded so much more intimate, sharp and less boomy. Firts day until I get accustomed to their sound, they seemed almost too sharp and unlistenable, but now, after half year, I can say they are best buds I tried (I think at least 20 buds from different manufacturers). I would like more bass extension, more bass presence and smoother uppermids/lower highs but generally, they're great!

Moonwalker

Seconded (applies very well to my findings with MX450).
smily_headphones1.gif

chia-pet, I liked the MX500 more than the 400 because of its somehow more colorful, rich sound. By the good old 'objective' parameters, they weren't superior. But they did sound better.

To me the 400 was closer to the 300. I also found it may depend on the 'production tolerances' though - had a couple pairs of 300 that I liked better than my only pair of 400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back