Need feedback on Nu-Force NE-6 and Image S4
Dec 9, 2009 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

bloodhawk

Formerly known as ViKiD(TM)
I was wondering how these 2 fair on the basis of Bass reproduction??

I already have a Denon C751 .... to be honest im not exactly satisfied with the Bass ..yes its clear but not exactly punchy .... which is what i actually like...

My preference is basically Awesome Bass (no matter what) and a very good Sound Stage....

Budget 100$'s .

Also im thinking of putting the C751's on sale here....is it a wise idea??

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 19
There's a long thread about the Klipsch Image S4's here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/k...age-s4-449368/

I do think the S4's snappy bass with just the right amount of depth is good enough for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 19
Can you please describe snappy here??

I prefer Forward bass which has a very strong feeling to it without being too boomy...and of course not shadowy

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 19
NE-6 has strong bass but rather poor vocal clarity. I would think the S4s are better in that respect, but I don't know how their bass compares.

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 19
I like my NE-6s fine; a solid bass performer with more detail than one would expect. They're not listening phones--the midbass hump is too pronounced--but they're better than I ask gym phones to be.

I've had good experiences selling through the FS/FT boards. You have to be patient if you need to hit a price--lowballers abound--but everyone I've dealt with has been straight-up and friendly.

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 19
I've had both (well, the NE-7M, same as NE-6) at nearly the same time. Both models have strong bass, but the S4 bass is a bit clearer -- NE-6 bass is a bit muddier compared to the S4. S4 reveals better details all around, but is fairly hot in the higher mids and highs.

Both are very strong phones (not laid back, like most Sennheiser full size phones), and the S4 is strongest -- can be fatiguing after 30 minutes.

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 19
I notice whenever someone posts a question about the S4, you note that they can be fatiguing after 30 minutes. I realize you mean "for you," but could you explain that. I am not saying the S4s are for everyone, but I have listened to them for 4-5 hours at a stretch without a bit of fatigue. Just a good idea to clarify, because not every member realizes you mean in your case only. In fact, I have not read anywhere else that the S4s caused undue (and quick) listening fatigue. Thanks.

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 19
After quite a bit of reading...i have come across a no. of times that the S4's are having slightly recessed Highs .....

I think ill settle for the Ne6 this and experiment with the S4's later on ...

Further inputs will be appreciated..

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 19
Your budget can easily get you a pair of NE-7ms
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 19
You've seen posts noting that the S4s have recessed highs? Interesting, I have read through the threads and haven't seen that specific complaint, nor do I head that when I use the S4s. Good luck with the N6.

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I notice whenever someone posts a question about the S4, you note that they can be fatiguing after 30 minutes. I realize you mean "for you," but could you explain that.

Sorry, you're right! I have also noticed that not many people are saying that the S4 is fatiguing to them, so it's definitely a "for me" thing, apparently. When I got the S4, I already had the RE0 and was wanting to find something as smooth as the RE0 with some added bass presence, and hoped the S4 would be it, but for me it wasn't.

I think the S4 has advantages over the NE-6, but not sure if the price/performance ratio makes it twice as good as the NE-6 (for twice the price).

Also not sure what to make of opinions that the highs on the S4 are recessed -- definitely not recessed to me.

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #13 of 19
Okay, didn't mean to be a pain in the butt. We do agree that the highs are not recessed, that's for sure. I think the decision was more an economic one than a recessed highs one.

Recently, I obtained two new pair of IEMs, Cyclone PR1s and AT CSK70s that both may knock the S4 off its perch as my best price to performance in-ears. Wow, both are amazing for the money (I did get the 70s for $40 used, so not fair, since they are $85 new). I need to do more listening, but the PR1s are RE0 competitors (and close enough is my guess) at $50, and the 70s do really sound like a full headphone, not an in-ear. More listening to do.

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #14 of 19
Hmmm...then im sure that my interpretation must have been wrong regarding the S4 .. :s

But if given a choice and my budget which one would you guys prefer if the decision was solely based on the quality of Bass and the overall soundstage?

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I notice whenever someone posts a question about the S4, you note that they can be fatiguing after 30 minutes. I realize you mean "for you," but could you explain that. I am not saying the S4s are for everyone, but I have listened to them for 4-5 hours at a stretch without a bit of fatigue. Just a good idea to clarify, because not every member realizes you mean in your case only. In fact, I have not read anywhere else that the S4s caused undue (and quick) listening fatigue. Thanks.

Well, to be completely fair pretty much ever post on head-fi is a statement of personal experience. I don't make an effort to hide my issues with the S4 (nor do I go out of my way to prevent people from recommending them) but I pretty much assume that whatever people read on head-fi is taken to be "in the poster's experience" or "in the poster's opinion", etc. Otherwise everyone just needs to put that in their sig and be done with it. Noone speaks objectively and for the general public.

And for the record I still do find them fatiguing (250 hours on my S4i now, by my estimate), though definitely not after 30 mins. I think like kmhaynes I was first spoiled by the ridiculous inoffensiveness of the RE0/PR1 pro/CK10, especially in the treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back