Need feedback on DT770 "hair removal" project gone Texas - driver ok?
Dec 23, 2010 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Chris Ihao

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

yesterday I finally after several years decided to step up and do something about my DT770's, which had one of those terrible rattles in the left side of the headphones. After doing some reading I figured out this usually is due to strands of hairs caught in filters or the driver itself.

Having looked inside and found nothing several times I decided to take it one further step. Now, here comes the stupid part. Before removing the driver and checking inside of that I found that the white "paper" in the center ring on the outside of the driver partly caused a rattling, as it reacted when I moved my finger across it. After having lost my patience I simple cut out the ring, since the DT-770/250 ohms have a metal guard above the element itself. Look here:

This is where I cut. Actually the driver had a noticable lower amount of rattle after doing this "mod", but some remained. Now, I wonder if any of you gurus or other knowledgeable guys know if this will have any other negative effect than possibly allowing hair to enter through the metal filter? I feel the sound isnt affected at all, and if the element was openly showing without the filter I would reconsider. I feel like poor amateur though, doing stuff like this when I'm unsure of the potential harm. :)

I eventually opened up the driver itself and yes, it had a hair lodged into the core. Had to pull quite a bit with a pincer to get it out. Also picked out a few smaller ones at the same time.

Fortunately I now have rattle free headphones at last, a blessing after several years of irritation. I just hope it will do ok for some time now, or else I will have to shell out for a new driver. I'm curious as to if other people here have experienced rattling caused by the filter itself or if I'm far out on this one. I did get the distinct feeling that the filter somehow vibrated and caused a sound. Just want some future reference, so thanks for any feedback.

Regards,

Chris

Dec 23, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 5
If it sounds okay it should be fine.  My only concern is that you've removed the main liner that will prevent further hairs from getting in there, but sounds like it wasn't doing its job in the first place.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
If it sounds okay it should be fine.  My only concern is that you've removed the main liner that will prevent further hairs from getting in there, but sounds like it wasn't doing its job in the first place.

Exactly. That was my concern at first as well, but then I decided either this goes away or I swap the speaker or headphones. Just too annoying after a while.

And thanks to you other guys as well. Just what I needed to hear. Since the liner is so thin, nearly transparent, from dealing with sound in other contexts I think it does very little to the sound itself, or at least minimally. I could do some testing in different high frequency ranges but highly doubt I can notice any difference with my well used, half damaged ears.

A merry Christmas to you people,
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back